Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
HI,

I don't want to beat a dead horse.. but..... I am ready to start jetting my bike (i think i'm ready). The bike is a stock '03 kdx 220, I have removed the airbox lid. I live in the midwest ( kansas city) and wanted to know what jets, and needles I should be using, as i am sure i am gonna have to buy some and want to have them in hand before i embark on this wounderful project...

So basically, what are the stock jets, and neelde, and what should i be using instead?

DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
check out bikebandit.com they have exploded view diagrams of all types of bikes and carbs. I have a 03 200 kdx but its got a bigger carb than the 220. best thing to do is take off the carb and look because the service manual only gives a list of optional jet sizes. at least mine does. also a good time to change those bowl phillips screws to hex head screws because they strip real easy. trust me i know.
good luck

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Stock jets are what is in it now, more than likely. You have to determine how it is running now...rich or lean and in what circuit. If it bogs when getting on the gas....then it is probably running lean. If it is spooging out the pipe and you are fouling plugs... it is probably running rich. There is a lot of factors to jetting.... CC has been the biggest help to me!

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by DRECKFRESSER
Also a good time to change those bowl phillips screws to hex head screws because they strip real easy. trust me i know.
Where can I get the Hex Head Screws for the KDX220 float bowl? Thanks

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Someone probably has a better answer, but I'd guess you could get them at most hardware stores (like Lowes, Home Depot, etc...). They have specialty bolts like that, I've gotten bolts for just about everything on my dirt bike there.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
..or just take one out and take it with you.

Lowe's has 'em. Any hardware store should have 'em. They will likely be stainless..put them in with a neverseize compound.

Buy a ball-end allen wrench while you're at it. Makes it a snap to take the bowl off whether you keep it in the boots or not.

Maybe I missed it when I breezed thru this thread...but, I didn't see resource links (for parts)..like:
carbparts.com, or
sudco.com (323)728-5407 I'm pretty sure they have an 800 number..didn't see it on their site. You might try 800.555.1212 and ask for 'sudco'.
***edit***
800.998.3529 worked for me for sudco last time I used it (last fall)

Your local bike shop (not necessarily dealer) should be able to get any brass you want....if they don't have it already. Likely they have mains and pilots, less likely for them to have needles.

Needles run about $5/ea. from sudco. Jets are a couple/few bucks. There are s&h charges of course.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by mcoker
but I'd guess you could get them at most hardware stores (like Lowes, Home Depot, etc...). They have specialty bolts like that, I've gotten bolts for just about everything on my dirt bike there.
Did you get a Home Depot fender decal with those? :) Thanks guys for the cheaper solutions.I was thinking there were aftermarket Kehin upgrade screws.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Just got some at HD this past weekend. Screws are 4 x 0.7 about 16mm long if my memory is correct. You will need washers also because it is difficult to get the ones off the stock screws. Total for 6 (that is the way they were packed & I only used 4) plus the washers and tax was less than $1.00.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom