STOLEN KDX [Ohio]

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
:( On 9/11 or the evening of 9/12 someone decided they's help themselves to a discount on the KDX I had for sale:

It was Stolen from our barn, in Trenton, Ohio (outside of Cincinnati).

They obviously wanted it only as nothing else was touched. Differences between the photo and now include:

Black BarkBusters, no fender pack and a few more stickers. This bike is titled in OHIO and will be listed in the NCIC. There are plenty of distinguishing features oustide of the Vin.

There is a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the @#$@$'rs that took her.

-MD

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
Nothing burns me more than hearing about a stolen bike. I'm real sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eyes open for you at Haspin Acres (I always notice a fellow KDX'er). I should be there a little this weekend and again in two weeks. Send me a PM if there are any marks on the bike that I should look out for. Good luck, man.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sic 'em jason!

What a crock!

That would be a hoot if the loser was stupid enough to ride it...and jason caught up with him.

Smack him one upside the head for me.

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
You're right, canyncarvr.....REALLY unlikely.

I guess my thinking is that if your the kind of @#$%&* who's low enough to steal a man's KDX, then maybe you're dumb enough to ride it!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Like I PM'd Jason. Haspen IS the most likely place it will show up :debil: I don't normally knock a mans favorite place to ride, but Haspen is the type of place where a lot of how shall we say it 'Mentally challanged' go. :D

It would not surprise me in the least to see it there, though with a few mods like a ground off VIN. I also suspect it didn't travel very far.

It will be found in due time...

-MD

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
sorry MADisher,i went through this on a buds bike here in upstate ny ...truely sux man.even loosers have some brains(somethin to bash in if caught) he'll sell it probably that's the guy u'll catch if u catch anyone.imo just as guilty cause u know when somethin's "hot" hope u get em dude.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey MD I am real sorry to hear about your bike! Not very long ago I lost over $30 grand worth of bikes and equipment right out of my garage! A year later I finally caught up with one of the low lifes! He was a person who had come to look at one of my bikes I had for sale (he was at the house about 2 weeks before I got hit). I would strongly suggest that you try to remember who has been at your place looking at what. I found out the hard way that these jerks can be ANYONE!
The cops were VERY helpful as far as allowing me usage of their computer system checking license numbers and the like but I had to do all the WORK!! I had HOURS of time in the investagation/went ot court to testifie against the idiot and watched in horror as the judge turned this 5 time felon out on a probation with a small fine!! I almost wish I would have handled it myself and sought satisfaction in another way..
Good luck on your recovery journey - dont wait to get started though as your best chance of finding your bike is within the 1st 30 days (according to Michigan State Police).
If you find him and decide to handle it the other way let me know cause I have lots of frustration I would like to take out on him!
I had homeowners insurance with Farmaers Insurance but they turned out to be worst thieves then the robbers themselves! Have found this out too?
Good luck!!!
Woodsy

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Unfortunately.... It was not insured... I was once a (Farmer Agent in training) so I knew the drill. Basically home owners covers things used in the maintanence of the property, which doesn't include things like dirt bikes, though it *might* cover some utility 4-wheelers. So all yall out there insure your bikes. It's relatively cheap about $200 a year in my case. And not only will you be covered in the case of a theft but will have some liability too. This IMHO should almost me a requirement. I don't know how many times I've seen other folks hurt in the woods by other riders. Be it going the wrong way or what not or just a blind corner. Liability here would sure help.

Anyway back to the topic... Basically one would think that it being 'locked' in your barn or garage would make it seem to be 'contents' like your stereo in your house but that's just not the case. As much as it sucks. I knew the rules. I dropped coverage in June when the company I worked for went out of business as a cost saving measure. I knew the risks. But really thought it was minimal.

I discussed the same thing with the sheriff. There needs to be more to discourage this kind of thing. A $50 fine is not a deterent to stealing a $3000 bike. He told me in this area they have been hot and heavy on bikes and 4 wheelers this year. Averaging more than one a week. Lock up your stuff.

-MD

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'll keep a eye open up here in MI.!

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
This is the EXACT reason I keep both our bikes double padlocked all the time if they are not being riden. Hope you catch the JERKS. God luck.

Obie#8 ;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Progressive is very reasonable - even beat out the quote from good friend who owns a State Farm agency. I pay $137 a year for a 2002 KDX 220, and $62 a year for a 2002 6x12 enclosed trailer. Both have fire and theft coverage, trailer also has collision. Pretty cheap considering combined values are about $7,500.

Were you home when the bike was stolen? Looks like you live in a pretty rural area. Any dogs? Pretty ballsy guy if it was at night and you guys were home. Seems like it would make some noise breaking into a barn and loading up a bike. Either way you haul it, a bike in a pickup or trailer is not going to go unnoticed in a small town. Definitaly seems like this guy knew of you and the fact that you had a bike in the barn. I bet he's caught soon.

I hear stories like this all the time, so I am a little paranoid/anal about securing my stuff. Trailer is in the garage, and I still have a coupler and latch lock on all the time. Considering a wheel lock at this point!

Good luck!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yep we were home. Our barn is an old carrige barn (circa 1800's). Normally it's locked up nice and tight on the horse side. I had been leaving it out at the end of the drive way chained up during the day with the for sale sign on it and bringning it in and parking it in the Carraige part (basically just under cover) at night (also locked up via a nice Kryptonite Cable Lock).

I litterally left it unlocked ONE night. Had to pull it out to get the tractor out and when I was done just pushed it back in but did NOT chain it backup.

So... Either they a) got lucky, b) were prepaired to deal with that cable lock anyway, c) had been waiting for me to leave it unlocked. %$$@$%@

Yes best we can tell it happened two nights ago while we were home, and yes we have dogs, both that bark when the wind blows but didn't make a peep.

They probably pushed it a ways a and tossed it in a pickup somewhere down the road. :/

Now I need to decide what to get to replace it. I had my eye on a nice 2000 YZ but needed the funds from my mount to offset the cost :/

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Smit-dog I thought I read that Progressive went under this year. Probably ought to find out. I was insured thru Great Lakes in Muskegon and I am almost positive they no longer handle Progressive cause they went went down!
Also, we lost 3 (that I have been told about) dirtbikes this year on Apple Ave in town to thieves that cut thru chains (while bike was chained up) to get at them!! BEWARE - this DOES NOT WORK!!! DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BIKE FOR SALE OUT AT NIGHT!! And I also know of another one stolen up by you SMit-dog with the same MO! THESE FREAKING IDIOTS HAVE GOTTA BE STOPPED!!
Woodsy

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
u know i wondered.....my bud and i stopped to look at an xr100 for his son,took ph # ,called to set an appt.got in touch ,had to wait another day ,called back.guy said bike was stolen(it was chained to a tree in front yd)we get a call from police askin us a bunch of ????? wtf i'm afraid to go see any bike for sale if this is gonna happen

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Gooby I guess I look at it a little diferently.. Anything that I can say/do to help someone who has lost their bike I will do!! I WANT to get involved cause there is nothing that I enjoy more then reading about the recent arrest of these PUNKS!!!
Woodsy
Besides - there aint a SNOWBALLS chance in Hades that I would ever allow these creeps the opportunity to mess up one of my greatest past times/looking at bikes (seconded only by riding them!!).
BY THE WAY CROOKS - BEWARE! THERE ARE GETTING TO BE LOTS OF US FOLKS OUT HERE THAT ARE WATCHING FOR YOU AND JUST WAITING FOR THAT WONDERFUL MOMENT WHEN WE CAN CATCH YOU FIRST HAND - YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MAY HAPPEN BEFORE THE COPS GET THERE TO HELP YOU!!!!!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i hear ya woodsy and i'm ok w that.if it were me i would explore any ave too.not having a crooks mind i never thought about if someone looks at a bike for sale it may b a crook sizin things up thats all.funny thing was my bud was just a victim himself ....96 kdx..gone :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…