StonyFord 1st Weekend of November?

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
You may want to call out there 1st. Last I talked to the rangers out there, they were still working on repairing damage from the trough fire and asking people to go elsewhere until at least Turkey day so as not to hamper rehab efforts.

Here's the # (530) 963-3128

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
I gave a ring out there & had a conversation with the USFS on site at Stonyford:

All the campgrounds & staging areas except Mill Valley & Little Stony are closed. Keep in mind that Mill Valley is the one way back in the woods toward Lake County, not the one up on the hill overlooking the Davis/Fouts area. They are really stressing that it is MUCH better to PLEASE ride somewhere else for the time being.

Let me preface this second part by saying that this is not aimed at KID KDX(If you'd like to change the venue to Middle Creek, I'm all for hitting the trails with you.)

I also found out that there have been some d**kh**ds that have ignored the closures & poached trails through the burned areas, causing further damage. The person on the phone with me sounded truly disappointed that this had happened, as am I. This sort of behavior is exactly what it takes to get this area(or any) permanently closed. Please honor the requests of the USFS guys & gals that are on our side. Suck it up & ride somewhere else for the next little while & wherever you ride, stay on the trail!

Sorry if this turned into kind of a rant, but there are some riders out there(and you know who you are!) that are hurting our sport with their selfish behavior, and it just gets me all riled up! There's plenty of fun to go `round without poaching trails!

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Yeah, I understand what you mean, it makes me mad too!!:( :(

What are some of the other good riding areas in the general area? I have heard of Foresthill and A couple others, what do you think of them? I live near San Jose California, so it is a good 4 hour drive to Stonyford.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Middle Creek is ~4 hours from you as well. It's on the west side of the Mendocino NF. 101 north thru Ukiah, Hwy 20 east to Upper Lake, North on Elk Mtn road. Do a search on Middle Creek & you'll find plenty of info.

I may be able to join you that weekend if you decide to ride Middle Creek.

Brian

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Middle Creek is good, I ride there pretty frequently. It's actually the other side of the hill from Stonyford. and has very similar terrain. There are some pretty neat trails out there. I haven't been to Foresthill or Elkins Flat yet(but I'm going to soon!).

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
Saturday, November 3rd is the 55th annual Cowbell Enduro, to be held at Middlecreek. I would encourage you to ride the event. Or plan your ride somewhere else. The best part of riding the Enduro is you get to ride several trails that are closed all year. You do not need timekeeping equipment, just treat the ride as a marked trailride, you'll have a great time. If you can still walk the next day, go ahead and ride Sunday!

Dave Wood

To get more information on the event, go to ama-d36.org

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Now there's an idea! I've never ridden an enduro. What's the Cowbell like? I don't have too much trouble with most of the trails out a Middle Creek, so I imagine I'd be alright as long as no one ran me over...

OLD STROKER

Feb 19, 2001
What kind of camping area do they have at Middle Creek. Is the terrian similiar to Stonyford where you can take the wife on an afternoon ride?
Last year I went to the Outlaw hare scrambles at Cow Mountain and took the road east out off Ukiah, ( this year I went thru Caslistoga and over Mt. St. Helena ) is this the same road to get to Middle Creek. Can you get up it with a 28 ft. motor home towing a 22 ft. trailer? What's the elevation? Is it as good as Stonyford in the winter?
Has anyone heard of a riding area in the town of Washington? This is West of Nevada City, Ca.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Old Stroker - There are 3 areas to camp at Middle Creek. The largest, most improved and lowest elevation is CC Camp, at the south end of the riding area. From the Bay Area, the best route if you are towing is to get over to Hwy 101 to Hwy 20 to Elk Mountain Road.

Deer Valley is a nice camping area, a bit more of a climb and a few miles of unpaved road. Penny Pines is just off paved Elk Mountain Road but is a long cliimb and is more of a day use area.

Many of the trails are around 3,500 - 4,000'. Last year when the higher elvation at Stonyford was snowed in for months Middle Creek was ridable.

The easiest marked trails are abandonded dirt roads.

It's a good riding area and similar distance as Stonyford from the Bay Area - you should check it out!

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Jimmy!
Now there's an idea! I've never ridden an enduro. What's the Cowbell like? I don't have too much trouble with most of the trails out a Middle Creek, so I imagine I'd be alright as long as no one ran me over...

Jimmy!,

I did the Cow Bell last year and had a blast. My viewpoint is of a "C" rider.
Most of the course is open, rocky, lots of trees singletrack. To me it seemed like 75% singletrack, 25% fireroad. There was no section that I couldn't handle.

I didn't even hour out. It was the only enduro that I have finished in the past year.

Rain come on rain.

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Sounds like it might be fun. Though for me it'd be an organized trail ride since I have NO timekeeping skills whatsoever, not to mention no timekeeping device other than a watch ...:confused:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jimmy,

If you go, and luck out that you are riding with good riders on your minute, you don't need no stinking timekeeping equip. ;)

Just stay with the other riders, and you'll do fine, and have a great time.

You'll need a DOT rated gas can, with your number on it, so that the club can take it to the gas stop.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom