strange noise not good

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
a while ago i took apart the whole engine on my 87 kdx 200 and checked and reassembled/decarboned it...i then kept it in the shed for a month before i got a new flywheel for it and installed it...started second kick...very nice....runs good but there is a strange noise soming from the engine during idle...it is medium loud and sounds like a loose cam chain on a fourt stroke but its a 2 stroke so...im really wondering what this is and if it should be taken seriously....it definitely didnt make it before i dissasembled it ...i ran a full tank of gas through it and it still made the same sound..no louder no softer....any i deas?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
How much trans fluid are you using? I was watching Fredette's KDX set-up video last night - he suggests going up to almost a full quart to quiet down a bushing that gets kinda noisy at idle.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
That part's a bit unclear. He covers early models for the bulk of the tape, then has a section at the end for differences on the H models. Jason, didn't you have an '87 model? How much did you run?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…