Whirring noise from new KDX220R

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
My riding buddy just got a new 2003 KDX 220R (new left over, never gassed up or started until purchased). He took it easy for the break-in, and he only has about three full days of regular riding on it now after the easy break-in. From the first full day of riding after break-in it will occasionally make a very loud whirring noise when the bike is hot. The whirring varies up and down with the throttle, but the noise does not change with the clutch or gears being engaged/disengaged. The noise goes faster/louder as the throttle is opened. If we stop the bike and let it cool, the noise will usually stop when the bike is restarted. The noise may or may not come back each time the bike gets hot again though. It does not happen every time the bike is hot, only occasionally, but once the noise starts, it will not stop until the bike is cooled down/shut off. Someone on the trail told us that this is a 'normal' sound for a new two stroke, but after the bike made the sounds on other rides we became more concerned. What could be causing this strange noise. It sounds like a whirring supercharger or a bad water pump on a car. Weird. Thanks. -Todd

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
My 2004 200 did exactly the same thing on my first real ride after break in. I found it was the kickstart mechanism. Try cycling the kick lever through once when the noise happens. Mine stopped making the noise after the bike loosened up. Change the trans oil a couple of times, maybe you have some floaters in the tranny.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
My 04 200 did the exact same thing. Could not figure out what the problem was. It happened on a ride in June. the whole day the bike made that sound. Has not made it since. Whatever :|

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
The bike is currently in the shop, but the mechanics cannot seem to get the bike to make the noise. The bike has to be ridden hard for about 1/2 hour or more before it will get hot enough to make the loud 'whirrring' noise (the shop does not seem to have enough room for the mechanics to really ride the bike anywhere to get it hot enough). The bike did this noise about four or five different times on about three separate riding days before it went in to the mechanic. The owner of the bike properly broke in the bike, and he recently changed the gear oil (with a dealer reccomended heavier oil), but the bike still makes the noise when hot. I will let him know about the possibility of the kick starter being the culprit, but I don't really think that was where the noise in his bike came from. I wish that I had a stethescope to listen to different areas of the bike closely. Oh well, at least he still has a warranty for a few more months! Any more suggestions of a possible culprit are appreciated. Thanks. -Todd

PS- The 'power band' has always been properly cleaned and re-wound by hand after each ride. It was recently replaced with a carbon kevlar unit so it can 'wind out quicker'. - :laugh:

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Whirring Sound

I had the same problem with my 2000 220. I saw on the sight years ago that there is a brass bushing in the tranny that doesn't always stay submerged in oil at the specified oil spec of 700ml. To cure the noise add a little more oil in the tranny. I now always put a little more than 3/4 of a quart and the noise has never come back! I thought I was gonna have to split the case. This is a much easier solution.

Eric :laugh:

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
Thanks, you are not the only one who recommends more oil in the tranny. Seems to be a common suggestion. I will let my buddy know, but he is kinda leery about doing anything that is not written in the owners manual. Is there anyone out there who thinks that it would be a bad thing to put 3/4 quart or one full quart in the crack case? Is there any downside to putting this amount of oil in? I will try to convince him to try it. I will also post the results from the Kawasaki mechanic here as well (the bike should be done today or tomorrow).

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Most folks on here will steer you towards more than the recommended 700mL. Personally, I run just about a full bottle (pseudo-quart, 950mL or whatever they are now). Probably around 800-850mL.

bluegroove

Dec 24, 2004
Fill it up!

I've had a '95 KDX for several years. Once or twice the oil was low and I got that noise. Normally I keep oil right at the top of the sight window and it stays quiet. I believe Fredette recommends the same thing.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
You know, the oil level could be the culprit. When my bike was making that noise, I was dumping in just a slight bit more than the manual recommends. I now dump in the whole bottle basically and haven't heard the noise in months. I also switched to the Bel-Ray full synthetic light gear oil, so that may help too. :coocoo:

Top Bottom