Stripped HEX HEAD...

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Hmm ok ive stripped bolts before but not a hex head..How should i go about taking it out..It does have threadlock on it also.. Wow it really pisses me off when i do this lol... :flame:
I was putting frame guards on and were tightening to 21 ft pounds with my torque wrench but it didnt make it, it stripped at probably 17 ft pounds...First time that ever happened..What should i do guys/gals..?!! thanks for all the help

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
This may sound crazy but do this. If the hex is steel or aluminum, have the closest fitting bit welded to it and then loosen it and replace the bit and hex head. Cheap & easy, but a little unorthodox. A welding shop should do that for n/c or 5 bucks.

gunslinger45

Mar 5, 2004
Or you could just use an easy-out. You can buy them at your local home depot. All you do is drill a pilot hole in the stuck screw or bolt, then insert the easy-out and turn it with the supplied tool. Most fastners will come out well, easy.

Trevor

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001

Alright fellas thanks..I think i might try out that easy out..Sounds easy to do..thanks for the comments though..

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd just cut a slot in the head and try to extract it with a screwdriver before messing with an extractor bit.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Since it has loctite on it, a little heat will make it come out easier no matter how you go about it. Screw extractors work nicely (no drilling of pilot hole) on some items. If its not flush with surrounding metal try slotting it like Patman said. Also if its not flush and you can heat it up a pair of vice grips might get it out.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Patman said:
I'd just cut a slot in the head and try to extract it with a screwdriver before messing with an extractor bit.

Yea i was thinking about just doing this..Hey it cant hurt..ill probably try it tonight..ill let you know how it turns out..Thanks again fellas

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If you just rounded the hex then Craftsman makes an extractor that works great. It looks like a scocket but has an internal spiral in it that grabs onto the rounded off hex and you just back oiut the bolt. It grabs harder as you turn it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…