KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I replaced my fork seals last week sometime. I didn't have a manual at the time so I just did it like the guy at the shop told me. Anyways, when I put it all back together, I tightened the triple clamps around the forks without torquing them. Is this important? I got my manual tonight and it said to torque the bolts on the clamps to 14.5 ft pounds on my 01 KX 250. Also, one of the bolts felt like it was stripping out. If it does strip out, could I just drill it out and put new threads and a slightly bigger bolt in it? The bike seems fine now. I rode it last week and didn't notice anything unusual. Thanks for any info! Matt

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Too tight, you can crush the upper tubes. Too lose, they can bind.
14.5 lbs isn't much BTW... and all it takes.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
KC10Chief said:
Also, one of the bolts felt like it was stripping out. If it does strip out, could I just drill it out and put new threads and a slightly bigger bolt in it?

A Helicoil will be difficult to install because the threads are behind the clamping area. You might be better tapping it for a larger size.

You mentioned that this was a somewhat new bike so I'm surprised that the triple clamps would be stripped. Are you sure that the bolt isn't stripped? I think that the triple clamps are a stronger metal and the bolt would fail first.

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
when i serviced my forks on my bike i didnt torque them and they are fine. when i put them back on the bike the bolts felt like they were stripping so i pulled them out and checked them and they were ok, i think it just feels like they are stripping but they eventually tighten up fine after a few turns.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
The bolts become harder to tighten from oxidation due to dissimilar metal contact. Use some "Never Seize" compound on the bolts and torque to 18ft/lbs top and 12ft/lbs bottom.

Top Bottom