Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
what are some tips or tools I can used to removed stipped screw heads? I am tearing apart a motor for a friend, and its and old pe, and he stripped the screw heads behind the flywheel, and now I am stuck. Normally I would grid the heads off, but I dont want to mess the case up. I have seen screw extractors at advance, but they were all for standard sizes, haven tries lowes yet, but they have never had alot of metric anything. So what is my best plan of attack?

merlinnn

~SPONSOR~
Nov 30, 2002
How stripped are they?? I usually try an impact driver on hard to move stuff.
Or you could remove the flywheel and cut a slot in them with a dremel tool. Failing that you may be able to centre punch them loose.

Hope this helps

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
its sears so they might sell them speratly like sockets, ill have to look into it. The engine ist even work the 60 bucks for the set, lol :)

KrackerRacin

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 5, 2002
In the future when you have to loosen important philip head screws get some valve grinding compound and fill the head of the screw with it. Then lossen with a screw driver. You will never strip a screw like that.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you use the drill out type extractor on something with a phillips head be darn sure to centerpunch the exact middle of the shank because the head will be quite a bit larger and going off center will be a huge pain to repair. The bits that Mr. Luckey suggested are reusable so it's not like it's money down the drain and they are a heck of a lot safer to use, just be sure to use a high torque VSR drill at a very slow speed (i.e. not a cordless). As yet another option try some heat from either a low temp propane torch flame.

:thumb:

Top Bottom