Stripped skid plate bolt-what now?

jim_slc

Nov 15, 2005
Hi Everyone,
I was teaching my son how to change the oil on our motorcycles and when he was removing the skid plate bolt he stripped it. He's still learning the counterclockwise to loosen rule, and I think he started out clockwise. I didn't see him use excessive force, but now it just spins in either direction. I tried prying the plate away from the frame while turning hoping it would engage the threads with no luck. Not sure how to proceed, but can't see a way to change oil with it on. Any help would really be appreciated.

BTW it's a Yamaha XT 225.

thanks-
-Jim

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What kind of bolt was it? If it's an allen head, good luck. I stripped an allen head working on my bike over the winter, what a PITA. You have to end up drilling out the bolt, or using an easy out extractor.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've done that before but a long time ago. I chiseled the skid plate around the bolt and it came right off. I had to get it weled to put the hole back in but it worked fine after that. It wasn't clean or pretty but I got the damn thing off.

You can also try grinding the head of the bolt off. That was my hindsight is 20-20 revalation!! :)

Top Bottom