Stuck Throttle?????

KDXtoCR

Sep 20, 2004
Looking for help. Last time I was riding my KDX220, the engine surged and began to run away. i pressed kill switch and shut it off. this happened twice. i am wondering if it has happened to anyone else and what the problem is??? Do i just need to clean carb or could it be something bigger? i am going to give this bike to my nephew who has never had a bike before and i don't want it to happen to him? Any suggestions.? Thanx

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Check your overflow and breather tubes, a lot of times these get clogged and will cause this problem.

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
If your comfortable with carbs i would tare it down clean everything out put a new bowl gasket and clean all the breather tubes and make sure the slide isn't sticking.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I would replace the throttle cable and make sure the new one is properly routed. The strands in the cable can break inside of the sheath - impossible to see and can result in an intermittant stuck throttle. A new cable should be under $20, so it's cheap insurance.

GrassMaster

Dec 22, 2003
Do you have anykind of Wrap Around Hand Guards?
I had that problem with the gas sticking wide open and I just loosened the srew on the end of the handlebar. Problem Solved.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
My KDX has been acting up a bit lately, in particular: getting stuck WOT after I land a jump or drop the front wheel from a wheelie. Strange... and no fun as you'll empathize, especially if you're not going straight and level when you get back on the ground. I haven't resolved it 100% yet but I've ruled out carbie blockage because it's the throttle mechanism getting stuck somewhere (grip won't twist back to throttle shut position). Things that I looked at that might help you, some already mentioned:
- check for crud between handlebar and throttle sleeve, trim your grip short if you have wrap around hand guards to stop balls of grip-rubber wearing off and gumming up the sleeve/bar;
- get a new throttle cable, route it proper ("proper" must be "the way that works", I haven't found it yet either);
- maybe the slide return spring in the carbie is getting old and lazy and might bind up under compression, get a more enthusiastic one;
- see if there is some damage or a snag somewhere in the throttle cable pulley beside the grip;
- install a dead-man switch with a lanyard, minimizes bike recovery crawling distance after a stuck throttle :)

Best of luck. Hope it turns out safe and your nephew enjoys it!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
- install a dead-man switch with a lanyard, minimizes bike recovery crawling distance after a stuck throttle :)[/QUOTE]

:rotfl: That's funny! :rotfl:

bake

Sep 20, 2001
An air leak will do this to, I had a 2 stroke that would act like a stuck throttle and it was a blown base gasket.

bake

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
Stuck throttle

I had this problem on my 02 KDX 200 after I would start going through the woops at a good pace. After checking carb, slide,and throttle tube, I noticed a small dent where the cable was routed between the gas tank and frame. I changed the cable and re-routed like it shows in the repair manual and it has'nt happened again. So I don't know for sure what was the exact culprit. That's what happens when you change more than one thing at a time. I just know it was an accident waiting to happen and glad its fixed.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A lean surge (bad leak) will generally be low on power.

A stuck slide won't be....low on power that is.

The former you should be able to feel in the throttle.

The latter you should be able to feel in the throttle.

.....they just feel different. If the throttle is sticking you will feel the extra freeplay. If it's a lean/leak, the throttle won't feel any different than it usually does.

Look for scratches on the slide indicating FOD (Foreign Object Damage). If you see anything, check the airbox-to-intake junction to make sure you don't have any holes where there shouldn't be holes.

If you have had the slide off or changed a needle lately..did the nylon retainer on the end of the return spring get properly installed? (tang on the retainer fit into the needle retainer nut)

Yeah...check that throttle cable for wear. Commonly it will start fraying right at the carb cap tube..at the bend. If that's the case, consider that such a situation will very likely damage the cap, too. Putting in another cable will work for awhile..but the damaged tube will wear the new cable out prematurely.

Speaking of which....I gotta check my cap for that same reason.......

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I feel your pain. Just went through this a couple of months back, and it can certainly put fear into you. It's not the type of thing you can ignore, because it will repeat itself at an inopportune moment.

Do a search for "bike runs wide open" to find a thread where a few of us went through the possibilities for surges and sticky throttles. I got mine sorted out, but I can't honestly pinpoint what caused the problem and which of my fixes solved it. It can be as simple as water in the float bowl splashing up and causing fuel starvation, or as nefarious as a worn throttle slide. Don't discount other air leaks, like at the spark plug (mine was loose enough to turn by hand) or crud or air filter goo in the reed cage. And yes, if your breather tubes are hanging down to collect mud or are routed incorrectly and pinched, you can get a surging effect. A plugged fuel filter will restrict peak fuel flow, and there's always the possibility of bad fuel or water in the gas tank.

There are probably a dozen potential causes of this condition, but if you have a clean carb, new cable, clean and functioning reeds, no air leaks, a throttle pulley with no kinking, and gas that hasn't been contaminated with water or weird oil ratios, then you should have flushed out the problem.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
lankytim said:
- get a new throttle cable, route it proper ("proper" must be "the way that works", I haven't found it yet either)

Hey... I found it! Would you believe it is in the manual? :yikes: :bang:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Are you saying that properly routing the throttle cable took care of the stickage?

ttripodi

Jul 24, 2002
My cable had crept out to the left side of the bike where it was getting pinched between the tank and frame. The throttle would get stuck open off jumps and whenever the bike would land hard off rocks. Re-routing it back into the grove under the tank took care of it.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
cc: maybe the cable routing fixed it but I suspect it was just part of the problem - maybe a little bit extra bend on the cable the way it used to be routed PLUS the sag in the throttle slide spring teamed up to tangle the spring or something. I had the cable running on the inside of the petrol tap and there might have been some tanglage of wires from my lights and junk around the front of the frame.

I may never know, but at least I feel a bit safer now that it (appears not to be :think: ) isn't sticking any more. :cool: Now I just gotta get the stinking thing jetted proper...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…