Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Hello CCC friends,

I came across a cool product for studding your tires. These were shown in the new Trail Rider magazine and being sold by WER Products. I'm not sure on the cost of these, but thought I would pass the info along.

These are screw-in studs that look like the carbide tip rivets on Trelleborgs. There are some good photos on this site of tire setups. The 1700 style is recommended for front tires and 1800 style is recommended for rear tires. They recommend between 250-350 studs per tire.

Here is the website.
http://www.best-grip.com/eng/

Here is the 1700 style stud:

bestgrip_1700_stud.jpg

Here is an example after installation:

bestgriptires.jpg

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
makes you wonder how they'd hold up? I don't mean the studs themselves (which should hold up just fine) I mean how they would stay "stood up" in the knob or whether they might 'lean' some after usage.
they are interesting looking and should last longer than screws for sure - plus you have your choice of knob pattern.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Look like a nice option between full blown Trelleborgs and Kold Kutters. The screw part looks pretty hefty, I too wonder how good they hold up.
I have a set of Trelle's to finally try out this season, should be interesting.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
katoom125 said:
... how they would stay "stood up" in the knob or whether they might 'lean' some after usage.

I think these will more stable than Kold Kutters or standard hex screws. The width of their screw is the same width as the stud's base. This looks like a stronger "anchor" to me. Most other screws taper towards the end. Also, the hex head screws have a narrow screw/shank with wide head vs. their stud with the reversed scenario. On their web site, they also show them being used on car tires and other applications. I'm not too concerned about their stability but hope the cost is not too prohibitive. I will contact WER Products and see what they say about the costs.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
I just received my District 6 newsletter and those where one of the new products tested.. Supposedly they ran a H.S and the held up perfect. Not one came out and almost no wear.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bbarel said:
According to WER The BestGrip studs are $119 for 100pcs.
Hey tight wad just go buy a set of Trelle's or Michelins!
Lansing Cycle has them in stock :cool:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Seems like you can pick up a slightly used pair of Trelles for a bit less than it would cost to fill out just tire with the BestGrip stuff. Ouch. One nice thing with the BestGrip is that you could replace any missing ones yourself presuming the knob wasn't ripped too badly.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, I spoke with WER today and got the bad news too... $119 for 100 studs. That's $1.19 per stud! :yikes: Nothing like throwing "dollar bills" off your tire as you loose a couple.

If you did use 250 studs per tire, this would cost you almost $600 just in studs for a set of tires. Those Trelleborgs seem like a bargain now. :think:

Mar 21, 2005
Matt R said:
Yeah, I spoke with WER today and got the bad news too... $119 for 100 studs. That's $1.19 per stud! :yikes: Nothing like throwing "dollar bills" off your tire as you loose a couple.

If you did use 250 studs per tire, this would cost you almost $600 just in studs for a set of tires. Those Trelleborgs seem like a bargain now. :think:

Where I could see the use is in my kids bikes, where you could move them to other tires as the kids grow out of the smaller bikes. My youngest was whining last weekend of how "not fair" it was that I could go riding (with my Trelleborgs) and he couldn't (around home) with his screws. I don't let them ride if gonna get into the gravel and dull them up.
It wouldn't be cheap to stud up their tires, and I'm in no hurry to do so, but can see where they'd pay for themselves (sorta) after several years vs. changing a ton of screws.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
There is a guy in PA that studds up Perelli M16 tires, similar to the Trelles. Just got a set today, 340.00 front and rear shipped. They look great.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
TCTrailrider said:
There is a guy in PA that studds up Perelli M16 tires, similar to the Trelles. Just got a set today, 340.00 front and rear shipped. They look great.
you have my attention. :clue:

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
My daughter ran off with the digital camera, won't have access to one until Monday. I Emailed the source to see if he was looking for more work. He is but is raising the price. $340 for front and rear, $30 shipping, $10 for Paypal, so $380 to your door. He has 18" or 19" rear, 110 or 120 width. Contact is Jeremy joliver232@yahoo.com (724)448-1316

Haven't mounted them up or ridden but his work looks very good. Says he glues the studs in, one per nob with two per in the rear center row. The studs look just like the Trellies or Michelin.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
I tested out the new tire today and I'll give them a C. Traction was fine and I didn't loose any studs but some are tipping over and working there way out. I guess you get what you pay for.
The new 250F is great. Plenty of power, lugs well and is very light feeling. It also idles well while laying on its side. :laugh:

Mar 21, 2005
TCTrailrider said:
It also idles well while laying on its side. :laugh:
Denny, I thought you had a little different method of parking that thing. I like to use the kickstand myself, but whatever works for you. :) Fun ride today. Hopefully you don't start losing those studs, otherwise they looked decent, better than using screws.

Top Bottom