mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
What kind of oil should be going in my rear shock? I've only heard it referred to as 'oil' on here and in the clymer manual. Is this engine oil? Fork oil? What weight is standard? Thanks :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
From my '89-'94 KDX200 service manual... "KYB K2-C (SAE 5W or Bel-RaySE2 #40)
60-70mm from gas reservoir upper end

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF works very nicely. It's about a seven weight. I run it in the forks and shock on my son's 2000 KDX.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i just recently changed my rear shock oil, i actually called up jeff fredette, said that they use golden spectro ultra light weight oil, i got some of the 85/150 which is equivalent to 2.5 weight

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Thanks guys. I got some oil for the shock, and I'm putting it back together, but I can't seem to get all of the air out.
(This is on an '88 200 btw). I hooked the shock body and reservior back together and I filled the shock body up to the circlip that holds the piston/rod assy in, then worked the piston into the body, put the circlip back in, flipped the shock body upside-down and took the banjo bolt that comes from the house out, so that the bolt hole was straight up. I then extended the shock all the way, and filled the body to the top of the bolt hole with oil. Then I re-connected the hose (only hand-tightened the bolt), and filled the reservior with 10psi of air (per the clymer manual) to let excess air/oil out, then torqued the banjo bolt down to spec. I compressed the shock, and I could feel a little air, and then extended the shock and felt air just before it was totally extended. I have since removed the banjo bolt from the shock body, topped off with oil, re-connected, filled with air, torqued down and tested 3 or 4 times, and I can't seem to get that little bit of air out. Is this normal? If it's not, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or have a tip on how to do this? Thanks!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Nope. It's not 'normal' to have air in it. It will render your shock pretty much of no use, too.

What's going to happen with that air inside when it gets frothed with the oil by the hydraulics of the shock? It's all going to look like baby poop!

It must be bled.

Newer ('H' models) kdxs have a bleed screw on the top. Does yours? (Yeah, I could go look for myself at buykawi..but I don't want to take the time.)

I believe CDave covers this on his site:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

Last edited:

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
I don't have a bleed screw on mine, that sure would be nice!
I think I'll just go through the bleeding process a couple more times and hopefully get it right

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom