Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
AMA Pro Racing announced today that it is reviewing the current Supercross track design and construction process. The review is in response to concerns noted by AMA Pro Racing officials and riders regarding the current state of track design.

In making the announcement AMA Pro Racing Supercross/Motocross Series Manager Steve Whitelock identified a few reasons for the review.

“Ensuring that we’re paying close attention to the designs of our tracks is something we always do but with virtually the entire field now riding four-stroke equipment, it’s time we take another close look at the process,” said Whitelock. “Four-stroke bikes deliver power differently than two-strokes and we want to see if there’s anything we need to change as a result of that. We also want to make sure that the tracks are designed to ensure the best possible racing environment and provide the greatest opportunity for close competition. Finally, safety, as always, is an ongoing consideration.”

The shape, number and location of specific obstacles are specifically what Whitelock wants to review.

“We believe that Dirt Wurx (the company that designs all but one of the tracks in the AMA Supercross Series) does a great job overall and is responsive to the large amount of input they receive from us, riders, the promoter and fans,” said Whitelock. “Our review process will be done in harmony with their expertise and experience with track construction.”

Whitelock noted that there is no single, easy answer.

“Riders have differing opinions on what makes a good track,” said Whitelock. “Some desire highly technical tracks with many obstacles and tough whoops sections. Others prefer faster, more flowing designs. The goal of everybody, though, is to build tracks that are as safe as possible and deliver great racing for the fans. That’s our objective as we proceed with this process.”

Round two of the 2006 Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series will be held this Saturday at Chase Field in Phoenix, Ariz. Whitelock has already begun meeting with key individuals as part of the review process and will continue meetings this weekend.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
“Ensuring that we’re paying close attention to the designs of our tracks is something we always do but with virtually the entire field now riding four-stroke equipment, it’s time we take another close look at the process,” said Whitelock. “Four-stroke bikes deliver power differently than two-strokes and we want to see if there’s anything we need to change as a result of that. We also want to make sure that the tracks are designed to ensure the best possible racing environment and provide the greatest opportunity for close competition. Finally, safety, as always, is an ongoing consideration.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Safety, is the main reason. Or it should be. We all know this is a dangerous sport, but like Whitelock said, “Four-stroke bikes deliver power differently than two-strokes". With a new era of design, you are going to have to make changes.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
J1mMy said:
Just one more nail in the coffin :'(

Personally, I don't think it will hurt a thing. But I've been wrong once, today already. Mabey you can explain the nail in the coffin?

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Two strokes are not extinct yet. Whitelock stated that they are going to look into track design. As long as they go into discussions with unbiased individuals. Then that is all we can ask for.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I see many two-strokes on the podium in Missouri.

Oh wait, I guess I was being to broad. I need to focus on AMA Professional Supercross/Motocross. My bad, sorry.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
IMO, the AMA needs to look into the track design issue. As a fan, I want to see top notch racing. It is inevitable that riders will crash and be injured but the design of the track should not be the predominant reason for crashes. The top pro's are pushing the limit of equipment design and physical ability while putting all on the line competing. So, the track should be challenging but NOT be the ultimate equalizer. The top riders will alway find their way to the front, regardless of the track design so the design should be to provide the best "racing" and spectator veiwing. After all, supercross is a better spectator sport than the outdoor nationals, merely because of the stadium seating.
I liked the off camber turns in A1. This challenged all of the riders without presenting a huge danger. Just my thoughts but I hope the AMA makes some changes that will benefit the riders and help the fans see better racing.
Brian

Top Bottom