Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Anybody currently running something they are happy with? The stock Firestones were a joke, the Goodyear AT/S's were a bigger laugh! All of about 30K out of the Goodyears :| I'm thinking the Bridgestone Dueler AT's right now, they have a 50K warranty which is pretty unusual for a LT285/75-16 8 or 10 ply tire. I need something that has a little bite in mud & wet grass to get the 2wd diesel moving since it breaks traction pretty easily. No mudder tires and no highway rib tires need apply and BFG AT's will NEVER be on another of my trucks.
Lots of good choices:
Bridgestone Dueler AT
Toyo Open Country
Nitto TerraGripper
Michelin AT Commercial

Any real world feedback?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Nitto TerraGripper :)
When I need 'em, that's the one I'm getting in 305/70/16's , looks to be a sweet tire.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The Goodyear's looked pretty good too they just didn't last woth a darn. I've actually looked at the Nitto's and they are currently #2 my only concern is not much in the way of real world info available on them because they are so new and they don't offer any tread wear warranty so I'm suspicious.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Cooper Discoverer Radial LT. 50-60 mile tire, superb all around traction, nationwide road hazard and repair if needed. $105 - $110/tire.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That size might be $5 bucks more per tire. My local tire guy has this as his normal price. I'm running the 265/75 R16 in a regular 4 ply but the 6 ply and 8 ply's are not that much more. He has a more aggressive tread, the STT and it is an excellent mud and snow tire but it is a softer rubber compound and you will likely only get 40 - 50K out of them with regular rotation and balancing. I haven't bought another brand of tire in nearly 15 years. I believe but am not certain that Cooper tires are made by BF Goodrich.
PS, my 4 ply's were $92/tire.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
My dad & I have had good luck with 255/85R16 Dunlop Radial Rovers on a '96 Cummins 4wd & '96 Dodge 2500 360 V8 4wd. 40k-60k depending on who was driving which truck. My dad is now running Les Schwab tires - 255s - and is getting good mileage out them. I'm running America's Tires Pathfinder ATRs on my '00 Cummins 4wd (315/75R16 - Load Range D) and have ~43k on them with the only problem being that I have run the rears overinflated and the middles are worn. The ATRs are a 60K warrantee. I also run the ATRs on my wife's Exploder and they are wearing very well.

Brian

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
After the original tires (17K miles) on my F250, I went through several sets before I came to the conclusion that it was a big *mistake* to run anything but 10 ply tires on a heavy duty (lower pressure, softer sidewalls wandered down the road). I went back to the stock size with a Dunlop 10 ply, 80 PSI tire. It was an AT.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
I've replaced the stock tires on my '02 F250 with the Pro Comp A/T. Had them on since it left the dealer, and no regrets at all. Excellent on-road behavior and no noise, great wear, good off-road performance, buy 3-get 1 free deal. Many people complain about Pro Comp stuff, but this is the best tire I've had on a BIG truck, and I've tried many.

Replaced the factory tires on my '02 Excursion with Dunlop Radial Rover A/T. These are even better looking, still exhibit good on-road manners with low noise, better off-road traction, good wear, a little more expensive, but you pay for the Dunlop name.

I'd buy either brand again.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
A friend of mine runs Yokohama (i think?) Geolander A/T's on his '00 250 SD.
He swears by 'em. (not at them.) :eek:
He puts in a lot of miles out in the oilfields and has never had to call in a tow.
They have over 40K on 'em now and still look in fair shape!
Just a thought. ;)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I spoke with a fellow who got 80k out of a set of Dunlop Radial Rover RV's..
The last tires I bought were Pirelli Scorpion A/T's and they were shot after 35,000 mi.

I'm looking to buy a set of Yoko Geolanders myself, but looking for more opinions first.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'm no tire expert, but have bought 4 sets for my Dodge diesels. I run the stock size and have always got Load Range E(used to be 10 ply) and the Les Schwab AT was nice but I never got over 40k on any tire, plus they ran$125 each. So last fall I got for the first time a load range D(sold the heavy horse trailer). I got a Kelly tire(Same company that makes the Les Schwab tires, so I heard)) with a more aggresive tread, for the reason of getting stuck in wet grass. The cost was around $80 from Discount Tire. I figure if it only last 35-40k I can get another set and still be ahead of the game then I was with the BFG's or Les Schwabs.

My friend works at Discount and the Kelly is what he suggested, along with the Yokohoma Geolanders. :thumb: I was leading with the Yoko's, but they were out of stock.

So far it's a good all around tire, plus the price was right.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
AT tires aren't designed for long wear, they are designed more for traction. :p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by RoosteR13
AT tires aren't designed for long wear, they are designed more for traction. :p
Yokohoma offers a 40K warranty.
Bridgestone offers a 50K warranty.
Cooper offer a 50K warranty.
Dunlop offers a 60K warranty.

:think: What were those silly AT tire people thinking?! (If you had said mud terrain I'd have gone along) :)

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Had a set of BFG-at's on my '88 B2 and put over 30K on them, then transferred 'em over to my '90 B2 and put another 50K or so on 'em.
Not too shabby for a 30,000 mile tire.
(of course B2's arent usually very hard on tires though.....) :cool:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Just ribbin ya Patman! :) I run the Goodyear T/D mud & snow and get close to 40K out of them. But, at the cost of those things I may actually try a regular A/T next time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bridgestones it is! We'll see how these run out, they can't complain because I did the full boat lifetime balance & rotate with road hazard plus I did a 4 wheel lifetime alignment. Little do they know I live down a nasty dirt road and plan to keep this truck for a VERY long time (it will be Little Patman's first ride in 6 years). So they will be seeing a lot of me :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
What did you pay for all of that?

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
On my work truck (97 F-250 ) I am on my second set of Pathfinders. The first set I got 80,000 plus and I have around 50,000 right now on the second set and they look fine.
I really dont know why I get such good millage, I never rotate like I should, dont check the pressure enough and my truck has the infamous twin I beam front suspension. I even got 70,000 out of the stock Firestone tires. I would have replaced with them but they were really exspensive and the wet road traction was next to nothin, dangerous in my opinion.
Now my 99` F-250 4x4 has Big O brand tires 33.5 x 12.50x16.5 load range D and they also seem to be holding up fine, plus they come with the road hazard, tire rotation and balance for life warranty at no extra charge.

bundy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by BSWIFT
What did you pay for all of that?
Almost $1,000 with Uncle Sam's hunk. I think it broke down to $150 per tire plus $20 for the lifetime/road hazard junk, $100 alignment, and a little bit for the shims & labor that the SD takes over standard adjustable steering.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Red runs the Cooper Discoverer AT's - 265/75-16's 8 ply. Red thinks the 8 ply is plenty - even for a heavy load. He is against running 6 ply tires on that big of a truck if you drive a lot. They were around $600 mounted and balanced. Seem to last longer than the Generals and the Kelly Safaris that Red has had on his F250. Courser Radial LT's are supposed to hold up good, too.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Nikki, is that a gas or diesel F250? With the weight of the crewcab and diesel it was obvious and immediately noticeable that the 8 ply tires wandered for me. I even tried a few different brands of 265/75s and they all did it from the moment they were put on. At around 100K miles I put 10 ply tires back on and it drove just like it was brand new and tight again.

I never did try the Coopers, though...that was going to be my next attempt.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Nikki, is that a gas or diesel F250?

Diesel super cab longbed 4x4 - he's put maybe 40k on the Coopers and they are still in really good shape. Haven't noticed much wandering at all. Heck pulling the 24' trailer, you can let go of the wheel for 10-15 seconds and still stay straight. I was doing that on the way home Monday to prove to Red that it really wasn't that windy and that it was okay for me to drive 70 mph. :confused:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
BFG AT's will NEVER be on another of my trucks.

Thats the ONLY tire for me!

I had 47k on my ext cab when I traded it and there was 50% tread left.

Bought another set of 285s for this truck

I know of 8 trucks that are running them (including PSD and Cummins tanks) and there have been no problems with them.

The new KOs are awesome. I don't even put weight in the back anymore for snow!

Top Bottom