russ17

Aug 27, 2002
These days I find myself questioning things that I was told to do but to find out it probably wasn't the right choice. I believe this has stemed from things I have learned on this site So thats why I ask alot of questions! One that comes to mind is surfacing pistons.I was told to surface pistions because it makes for a flat and even surface and would create a good shim seal. Does this have merit or is it purly cosmetic. I have seen some work by different companies where as some surface and some don't. Whats the real deal here!

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
my personal opinion is, if you see damage to the sealing areas - yeah, it should be run over a surface plate. If it looks good, I leave it alone.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I adgree-ive seen forks with the shim stacks held wide open with crud and they still worked ok.I have used a bleed shim on the piston face(0.1mm) and it softened the fork a fair amount but not as much as you would think.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I can say this, when it (a leak) occurs on the rebound side, most guys feel it. On the compression they don't seem to notice as much.

I had a rebound side leak on my new Fox sled piston proto's and boy oh boy let me tell you did it kick like a mule. My own fault for not inspecting it and thats rule #1 usually.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Thanks! and I understand the need if there is damage.but from looking at the pistons they seemed to be cuped.So if we surface this how is this going to effect performance or does it effect performance. the more I think about it if it is slightly dished then it must have some preload to it. Just trying to understand the performance issues.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
On bikes like Husky and Marzos forks its a good Idea as the forks get full of crud sometimes and the faces get pitted . Ive seen some guys that like real thich 3 stage valving stacks and they have machined the shock pistons down on a lathe to look for extra room for shims ?? That was a while ago . Funny about tghe bleed Marcus I saw a Southern company whose stuff workes pretty well that would leave the pistons (forks) loose and stake the nut to the shaft real tight . We guessed they were looking for plushness but think of the consequences(coming disassembled) I would rather see a tight piston and a small bleed shim . Only thing I would ever try something on is like the comp adj piston on like a T/C SHOWA . I just wouldnt be able to sleep at night knowing they were loose . We first saw them and thought TERRORISM but then we saw other sets and thought a trend . Only one companythough and actually their stuff was working pretty good . Guess everyone has their quirks . I want my stuff safe and if it cant be I wont assemble it . CHEERS

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont like the idea of staked nuts that dont hold the shim stack down-a bleed shim is a much better idea-i rode a set of SXS WP 48s back in 2000-the were from a semi factory KTM-they were the only forks that matched a well set up showa-i know they had a bleed shim on the base valve but not the actual stack-i tried to copy the idea on my 01 KTM 125 but i never really knew where to start-the bleed shim worked in helping reduce the spike the std fork had but i didnt get the bottoming resistance-i only tried one shim stack to be fair , and then i rode a 01 Cr125 and sold the KTM.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by Shocknut
I can say this, when it (a leak) occurs on the rebound side, most guys feel it. On the compression they don't seem to notice as much.

Well if you think about it the compression already has a big bleed (rebound adjuster) and with your slight leak is a threshold bleed much like a cool idea you came up with mister.. So does it suprise you?

Where would we be without Mr.Howe.. ?

BR,
Jer

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
No it didn't surprise me, in fact I knew what the problem was instantly(and thought what a DA I was). Only something like that could have caused that wicked of a kick. It was actually funny. I laughed after the first mellow jump I hit kicked my front end down so hard I almost endoed.

Top Bottom