Surging idle and 1st gear bog....

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Hey guys, thanks to everybody for helping me out with the clutch, i filed down the notches on the basket, and although still not perfect, it is allot better than it was.
Anyway, The bike is surging at idle and then will die (in nuetral) if let idle for more than 10-15 seconds, also, if in 1st and you nail it, it bogs right away, then the power comes on. It wasn't doing this when i brought the bike home yesterday, but did start to do the surging that night when i put it in the garage. The condition goes away alittle when the bike is warm, but barely.
Do i have a fouled plug or?

Nate

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Maybe your pilot jet/circuit is clogged or too lean.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Is the pilot jet the same as the slow jet? In my manual it only mentions a Main jet and slow jet. Also there is the air screw. I use the air screw to richen the slow jet?

Nate

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yes, pilot = slow; same thing.

Next, keep in mind that jetting that works today may not work tomorrow, due to changes in weather. Barometric pressure, temperature, and relative humidity all play a role in air density.

But I would start by pulling the carb, removing ALL the jets, and giving it a thorough cleaning. That will eliminate one possible factor.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Ok, i guess i will get working on that. The issue does not sound like a fouled up plug though i gather?

Thanks,
Nate

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
My first thought would be the pilot jet too. If it ran fine the day before, sounds like something is clogged. And make sure your air screw is at about 1 1/2 turns out as a starting point. And yes, plugs can also do strange things when they foul, but I would doubt it is the plug. This is going to sound real stupid, but...is your fuel mixed right? Not to insult your intelegence, but my son once thought that 32:1 meant 32oz's to 1 gallon. It's 32 parts gas to 1 part oil. (4 oz's oil to 1 gallon).

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Yep it's mixed right. When i get home today, i am going to change the plug, clean the carb, and reset and adjust the air screw. Thanks guys.

Nate

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Since you just bought the bike, and while the carb is out, it would be a good idea to check the condition of the reeds. Look for chipped or cracked edges or petals that don't lay flat against the cage.

Also, check the float level while cleaning the carb and make sure it's set at factory spec. Look Here on how to set the float level.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Are you sure the choke is off? If I forget to turn off the choke with the engine running after about 10 seconds the same exact thing happens (it revvs up by itself for about 5-10 seconds, bogs, and dies) on my CR250.

If your going to take out the carb, you might as well start it up once without using the choke to make sure thats not your problem.

NateZ

Feb 27, 2005
Def. not the choke, it's more of a quick surge, and if i just give it some gas before it dies it will just keep running.

Nate

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Oh, then I have no idea. With the choke on my 88, if I let off the gas with it on it either surges and dies or just plain dies.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
will run real rich, foul plugs like mad, crap out at high RPM. Just to name a few things that i have experienced with bad reeds.

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
Nate,
my 93 and 97 both have had this same problem. the 93 was crappy fuel that pluged the pilot jet. and my 97 was an intake boot that was leaking. The 93 i fixed buy cleaning the jets and carb and draining the bad gas :bang: . The 97 i just pulled the carb and replaced the intake boot. :blah:

Top Bottom