Suspension and weight of rider question.

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
Hey guys. Ive been looking around for a while at bikes and was wonering a few things, but this question is pretty important. Im 5'11" 220 pounds(yea Im a fat one, well kinda) and I was wondering about 125cc suspension, and actually if i should just get a 250cc with the big tummy of mine. A 125cc is pretty logical because Im not a pro by any means. This is more of a learning bike. What my question is, do I need to get new springs? And, sense I know that will most likely be a yes, how much are they and is it relatively easy to install? Thanks guys, I even tried using proper grammar, woot.

Robin13

Nov 21, 2004
I'd get a 250 if I were you. Look around and find out wich ones have a smooth powerband. It will be less effort to ride than keeping the 125 in the powerband. You can always get a gnarly pipe or flywheel weight or something else to smoothen out the power. About the springs, it all depends on what terrain you ride and and how fast you are too. At 220 you will probably need stiffer springs. It is not that hard to replace springs at all. Look on online stores for prices or ask your dealer who can probably reccomend you a spring rate too. Try out the stock springs first.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I would suggest a 250 also. It will have more torque than a 125, definately easier to ride for your weight.

I had a very similar question last week. I was directed to MX-Techs' spring generator to choose the correct spring(s) for my weight.

http://www.mx-tech.com/core.asp

Hope this helps, Steve

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Throttle control.

Doesn't matter if you are buying a CR80. If you are heavey on the wrist, you are going to gain experience FAST.

I'm on the 250 bandwagon, I just bought my wife a KX250 and an insurance policy. :)

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
i_955 said:
Throttle control.

Doesn't matter if you are buying a CR80. If you are heavey on the wrist, you are going to gain experience FAST.

I'm on the 250 bandwagon, I just bought my wife a KX250 and an insurance policy. :)

Man, lucky wife lol. Yea I bet I'll get a little throttle happy a few times but the machine will probably straighten my ass inline, probably pretty quick too :| anyway..thanks alot guys. So a 125 is a no go?

kevin5758

Sponsoring Member
Mar 15, 2003
Alot is rider preference. I like 125's cause I can't get into as much trouble. With a 250, you have to make sure you're pointed the right direction when you twist the trottle.

IMO, If you're a beginner, don't go for heavier springs just because your 200#. Ride the bike until you feel they are needed. (e.g. Bottoming etc)

The 250 four strokes have nice managable power.

trewent

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2000
Easy does it.......

I don't race, just for fun, mostly track, sometimes trails. 6'1" 230 with gear. I find 125's to hard to keep in the power and 250 2s to abrupt. I would look at a KTM or Gas Gas 200 2s or a 250 4s like a yz250f or crf250. Both have more low end torque and wind up nicely. When you get the power crave then go ragin'! The suspension may not need any work depending on your level of riding. As you learn to handle the bike you will learn what handling and ride characteristics you do not like. Keep the fork/shock oil changed and play with the settings. If that does not work then go springs or revalving. There is alot aready in the DRN archives about how to set up.

Last edited:

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
you don't really describe the type of riding you plan on doing - Moto or off-road. I am 5' 10 and 225 - just average off-road rider.

* Had a honda xr250 with beefed up suspension - nice bike overall - but ultimately a little slow

* Went to the KTM MXC400 - stock suspension. I have not really felt like I needed to change it. I always wonder if I am missing something - but the bike is so much better than the XR even with a beefed up suspension.

* If you really want 125 capabilities - I would highly recommend one of the new 250 4 strokes. Ride it a while then determine if you want more suspension - I wouldn't do it right away - until you prove to yourself that you need it.

Hope this helps.

travis712

Feb 12, 2005
Thanks alot guys. I plan on doing offroading, but aggresive rider I am. Still want jump capabilities of fairly large jumps. When I buy the bike, Im going to wait to see how the suspension feels to me. If I feel its necessary to improve suspension, I'll get stiffer springs, and all that stuff. Would I be less apt to need these parts if I weighed..like 200?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
travis712 said:
Anyone think it would be better if I weighed 200 lbs?

For many reasons, yes.

yzJoKeR

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Do you have friends that ride if so try out a 125 and a 250.I also am a little heavy and ride a 250 and have no problem with it.A 125 for a heavy guy is a little extra work but damn they sure are fun to ride.
Make sure you get the bike thats right for you it sucks to get the wrong bike and then loose interest in riding.

Top Bottom