suspension disappointment

ckf

Jun 1, 2005
hi, sold my 200exc(too powerful for me) to purchase a '97 220. this 220 is a japanese domestic model, not sure if the shock is the same as the off-road model as from the States, but the front end has a '91 KDX 200 inverted fork. suspension is a disappointment, exc is way better. is revalving a worthy job for both front and back end or KX suspension is the way to go? also, can a KX shock fit in KDX?

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
My friend has a 200exc which I have ridden. It has or feels significantly more powerfull than my KDX. It's more about throttle control, the KDX is more about momentum and gear control.

stangera

Aug 2, 2004
Well he is right a stock KTM 200 is more powerful than a KDX 220, so that does make sense.

Just change your springs and fork oil and you'll be good to go. Inverted forks don't really have any disadvantage other than the hang down.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Yeah the stock suspension is way too soft unless you are a really skinny guy.

Here are some tips I followed:
http://www.frpoffroad.com/kdxposed/suspensionTips.aspx
I went with the full race tech gold valves and springs, and LOVE IT. Just springs and thicker oil would be a cheaper alternative with a big improment over stock though.

And Stangera I think you typed that wrong - I think what you meant to say was the inverted forks don't really have any advantage besides eliminating the hang down on the stock conventional forks.

Phil

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I have a modified KDX but have ridden both bikes.
MX Tech can modify the forks and shocks to make it a great trail bike; I don't think the KDX suspension can be as good as a KTM for racing, but is OK. Yes, the stock KDX suspension is barely adequate and you will find a huge imrpovement with a professional modification.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
inverted forks don't really have any advantage besides eliminating the hang down on the stock conventional forks.

Less flex resulting in more precise steering is the main advantage for USD forks.........especially in sand and whoops.

The inverted fork you speak of will flex much less than a current 43mm KDX conventional fork. However, the KTM should have a bigger conventional fork or an USD fork, in which case the flex trade-off is a non-issue.

Stiffer springs and Goldvalves will do wonders for the KDX forks.........either USD or conventional. If you are riding in sand, go slightly stiffer than the Racetech suggested shim stacks.

I put Goldvalves in both ends of my sons KDX. The front was a HUGE improvement whereas the rear was just a nice compliment. It is nice to be able to run the rebound clicker in the middle of the range instead of max hard. KDX shocks seem to be real light on the rebound stack.......not good in the sand whoops.

esc

Feb 10, 2004
for what it is worth...I have an 03 KDX200. I ran enduros with it and always felt with the stock forks I could either adjust for hard hits (not bottom too hard too often) or mild stuff (like roots, rocks, and boulders) - one or the other. This was done with the clickers and changing the fork oil weight....keeping the springs the same at .38. I sent my forks to MX Tech and had my forks redone including midvalves and am very pleased. Not only can I adjust for rebound but I can account for both types if hits and adjust as necessary as the terrain changes.

Oh...I did replace my springs with .38.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
KDX suckspension

Stock, the KDX suspension is actually fantastic IFF [if and only if] you are riding strictly nasty tight technical terrain. Try to go fast and the bike will hurt you. Going up to .38 from the stock .36 fork springs makes an unbelievable difference. The bike now goes fast without washing out BUT it completely looses that wonderful ability to make you look good in the nasty stuff. You now work hard in the tight stuff where the stock suspension previously did it for you. Gold valves are a must to rid the forks of their harshness -no matter what spring rate you're running. for sand and rough terrain a steering dampener also works wonders on a KDX

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
I've had similar experience to the one "robcolo" describes - great bike on tight trails but hurt badly when I tried to race it on more open stuff. 3 cracked ribs, a torn quadricep, and a torn ACL later, I'm looking to make this bike work better. I already put in heavier fork springs and this helped a lot. I haven't done anything with the valving yet. Here's my question...

Somewhere else in this forum I heard someone refer to the KDX forks as "underhung." This is interesting to me. Would triple clamps with a different offset solve this problem? I'm thinking if you stretched the front end just a tad (increase trail?) it would make the bike more stable. I realize I'd be sacrificing a bit of handling but the increased stabililty seems like it would be worth the trade.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Jeff Sexton said:
Somewhere else in this forum I heard someone refer to the KDX forks as "underhung." This is interesting to me. Would triple clamps with a different offset solve this problem? I'm thinking if you stretched the front end just a tad (increase trail?) it would make the bike more stable. I realize I'd be sacrificing a bit of handling but the increased stabililty seems like it would be worth the trade.
The underhang, is the 4 inchs that hangs below the wheel. You can lower the forks in the triple clamps up to 10mm. That will allow the bike to turn much better. Lowering is not for you if high speed riding is your thing

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
ckf said:
hi, sold my 200exc(too powerful for me) to purchase a '97 220. this 220 is a japanese domestic model, not sure if the shock is the same as the off-road model as from the States, but the front end has a '91 KDX 200 inverted fork. suspension is a disappointment, exc is way better. is revalving a worthy job for both front and back end or KX suspension is the way to go? also, can a KX shock fit in KDX?

The front end is from a '91???? Inverted???? Are you sure of what you've got? If is really is from a '91, then it should be a conventional fork and a non-cartridge style; if I'm not mistaken.

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
You can also modify your stock shimstack yourself, if money is an issue. I removed two of the 10 shims in each fork leg, which made a huge difference to the way the forks handle the sharp edged bumps such as roots and rocks. OK, so it's not as good as installing Gold Valves, but hey it's free and I'm much happier with the handling now. Try it, you may be surprised how much difference it makes!

Andrew

Top Bottom