cicone

Sep 29, 2003
This commentary is primarily fo those whose suspension is similar to my 1990 model---though all feedback is welcome. I've always had a healthy respect for whoops and we have them in the north Florida woods in spades. All the tips on how to ride them boiled down to going at them in a hellbent fashion. I am running the original suspension---and thought that may be the problem, with my weight at 190 lbs. Just for fun, I checked the settings and found ALL of them to be turned out to the softest setting! Hmmm. Looked at Fredette's site and saw his recommendations for how many clicks out to set---forks 6fast---12technical, shock damping 6fast---12technical, rear rebound 8fast---14 technical---another hmmm. Went for the middle ground on each one and hit the woods yesterday. Result---first warmup run beat me to death with front end pounding and rear like a bucking bronco---I drove straight back to the truck for some changes. A couple of runs later I settled in on these settings---forks out 14 clicks, rear compression out 13 clicks and rear rebound out 16 clicks. It was like a miracle. I was attacking the whoops in 3rd and 4th gear without fear and never letting up on the throttle---which always happened in the past. Am I happy. Definitely. Only drawback---doesn't seem to bite and hold the front end into berms like it used to---maybe one more click will do it, but for now I'm shickled titless with the improvement regardless of the slight tradeoff in cornering. Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks for letting me rant and I look forward to your comments.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Congrats on getting ino the process..
but original suspension? Even springs?
Your front spring rate WAS .30, 14 years ago. Perhaps less by now.

I encourage you to get some new boingers..you won't be disapointed.

Those springs are not strong enough to quickly get the wheel back on the ground.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom