utrax42

Jun 2, 2007
My 2000 CR250 is too bumpy in the rocks/roots section when we are out trail riding. And so I have come up with a few questions that I need some real brainpower to help me out with.

1. I am under the assumption that not all types of forks have these shim stacks that control how hard the forks compress at different points in the forks travel. Does my bikes forks have these shims?

2. If so, why can't i find any illustration of them in my clymer manual? Are they not meant to be changed?

3. Are new shims something that would be ordered from a special site or can I get them at the local shop?

4. Are shims hard to swap out? I have been into the forks on my YZ125, and I do have the manual plus the mechanical confidence to get into them. Good idea/Bad idea for me?

5. What do the shim numbers mean. Ie. 25 x .10 Is this hard/soft or controls larger/smaller amount of compression travel? ect.

6. finally, does anyone have any suggestions on a good trail riding stack for a 150 lb kid in pretty rocky/rooty trails?

Thanks so much for the help! :blah: :cool:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I can't help with the shim stuff, but a couple of questions/ideas:

has the fork oil been freshened up? inner and outer

Are the springs stock, or ??
The stock springs are on the heavy side for your weight.

Are you trying to make the bike work for jumps too?

Without touching shims, you could try starting with fresh oil, the right springs, and fairly low oil level (within allowable range in the book).

what tire pressure do you run?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ultrax

I have a 00 cr250 and there is an easy fix. The problem with your cr is high speed compression. It deflects like a dog and will spit you off the trail. After my last trip to Moab, I was about to give up but i got some help from this forum. It is amazing what a few shims will do for you. I can go like crazy in the rocks/roots with no problems now. As a matter of fact I have to slow down so I dont beat the rims up.

High speed compression valving is in the top of your fork. Have you ever serviced the fork? ie seal replacement ect. A special wrench is needed to take the top of the fork apart.

I need to do a search for my old thread in this forum and Ill link it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom