wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I rode my first 4-stroke this weekend and now I'm SERIOUSLY considering trading my KDX to get one...

Am I crazy? Are there things I should know about 4-strokes that would make me want to keep my KDX???

I rode a buddy's YZ250F this weekend, and after just a few minutes, I didn't want to give it back! The power was incredible and SMOOTH, just roll on the throttle and it was there, and I mean ALL you want. :cool:

NO clutch work was required on this bike. Even though this was the first time I rode this bike, there were woods sections where I was actually more confident on the YZ than on my KDX. Big rock section coming up? Who cares...no more worrying if I was in the right gear, no more fanning the clutch to get the power up, no more worrying if I have the right sprocket combo for this, just roll on the throttle and enjoy! And when exiting a corner on a MX track, don't even worry about the clutch, just roll the throttle and hang on. Man, it was SWEET! :yeehaw:

And my riding buddy (hey HLG!) said the new KX250F has all the power of the YZ, but even more up top...

The smooth power delivery of that YZ made me think it would be perfect in the woods; I know it certainly was in the trails we rode this weekend.

I used to wonder why there was so much hype about 4-strokes. If the YZ250F is indicative of that technology, I now understand.

Am I missing something?

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
I ride some pretty tight woods on my KDX ('01 KDX200) and I don't use the clutch at all on most of it.... occasionally around a hairpin....

Are you sure your KDX is running right?.... it should have a pretty decent low end on it (compared to most 2-strokes)...

That being said... some people preffer the power delivery of a 4-stroke... sounds like you may be one of them

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The baby thumpers are very nice. Their frame geometry and suspension is light years ahead of the KDX. However keep in mind that when the hyper thumper needs service it will cost you much more money. Routine maint is also much more work than on the KDX. So evaluate the whole package before you decide to get a baby thumper. A KDX will run for a long time with very little investment and when you do fix them they are cheap to keep running.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Sounds like if you got a auto clutch for the KDX, you would be just as happy. There was a thread here recently on one complete with a review. Think it sold for under $500.
Ditto on the costs of maintenance. For about $100, I can have a fresh top end.
Also, I here the fourstrokes can be hard to start hot if it doesn't have the e button.
How much more weight is the YZ to pick up off the ground when you do drop it? (and you will)
Then there's the sound and the smell. I just can't give those up. They are part of the whole offroad riding experiance for me.
Are you sure your bike is running right? The differences you describe sound like you have the two bikes mixed up. Everything you pointed out about the YZ is what I enjoy about my KDX.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Yes, I did drop it once in the woods, and it was TOUGH to pick it up. Of course, I was exhausted by this point, but the bike definitely felt heavier than my KDX. This YZ was a few years old and didn't have the E-button, and since I didn't know "the routine", starting it was definitely a chore. I wore myself out trying to start that thing.

My point on the clutch work...the place I normally ride has lots of large uphill/downhill sections that are pretty rocky. On my KDX I'm fine as long as I'm in a low gear and the revs are up, but I usually end up fanning the clutch to make it. The YZ pulled so hard that I just couldn't imagine that situation happening. I'm not really interested in the auto-clutch idea, I was just shocked that I didn't need to fan the clutch on the YZ.

FWIW, the YZ felt a little awkward on the MX track compared to my KDX (believe it or not), but I'm sure that is simply because I wasn't used to it and had little confidence on it. The KDX seemed easier to flip around in the corners, and it definitely seemed lighter and easier to steer than the YZ.

Thanks for the headsup on the maintenance, I knew there was some reality in there somewhere.

As far as I know, my KDX is running fine. I even went down one on the main this weekend (M=155, P=45, 1173 needle-mid clip) since it was hot, and the guy I was riding with (20 yrs riding/racing) said my KDX felt great to him. There was some spooge on the S/A, but isn't there always spooge on a 2-stroke?

I'll probably keep my KDX and keep tweaking her...it's like you said, you can do tons to them and the cost is marginal. Oh well, at least I know what the 4-stroke hype is about now.

Sorry to bug you, I just needed a reality check...thanks! :cool:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Well, thats as good as that yzf will ever run..... get it?

You can always make a KDX run better..Perhaps thats not entertaining to you...

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Every bike is different, but even at sea level with normal summer heat, your bike sounds rich. Jet it correctly and you will like your KDX even better and better! Correct jetting will amaze you. Cheers John

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I feel like people are turning on me here...can't we all just get along? Why u hatin'? :)

I do like the notion of making the bike run better; that's why I'm about to change the fork springs. Next will be the shock spring, then new reeds, then maybe a Power Now valve or RB carb mod, then...

Thanks for the note on the jetting, I was aiming for the middle of CDave's and FMF's recommendations, but I'm suspicious about the jetting too. Maybe someday I'll get it right.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Definately go for the RB carb mod!

You can lug 'er WAY down low, and still can wick it whenever you need to, no fanning required. (unless your front brake is DRAGGIN') :yikes:

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Isn't there a separate forum somewhere for thumpers? ;)

A wiser man than I once said:

"give us this day our daily oil
and forgive us our smell
as we forgive those who smoke past us
and lead us not into thumping
but deliver us from pollution restrictions"

May your cylinder always be ported and your head not full of holes.

:aj:

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I've got a WR450 and a KDX220.I usually ride the KDX because the 450 is too much work in the tight stuff,it's so big and heavy and has more power than I need for the woods.
But out in the desert and more open riding areas the power,long wheelbase, and suspension of the 450 are really nice to have.(By the way,the 450 is not easy to work on.)
So I think choosing a bike depends on where a guy is going to ride and how he rides.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I don't think anyone is turning on you, Wanaride. Just trying to keep their typing related chores to a minimum.
Don't be afraid to play with your jetting before doing any of the other things you described upgrading. It really isn't that bad and as long as you go in reasonable steps, the KDX will let you know something is wrong long before you will damage the engine. Do the WOT chop as described on Canadian Dave's page and if you have a digital camera, post a photo. You are in great hands here on getting good info for jetting a KDX. When I got my bike sorted out, thanks to this site, it was like that extreme makeover show on TV. It was hard to believe I was on the same bike!

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I am a little late as usual, but I was in the same boat as you are. I rode a CRF250X and really enjoyed it. Thought I'd get me one, but then.....I had Eric Gorr turn my 2 hunny into a 225 with mo better porting....forget the 250 f's for now....my KDX is simply outstanding.
Luggable, great mid and awesome top....can you tell that I really like it?
I still get 55 plus miles to a tank (Michigan wet sand), oh, and those orange guys really liked it too.
What did you do to that thing? ....was the most common question.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Yeah, and you can do all of those mods for a fraction of the cost difference of one of those four strokes. After checking out their MSRPs and factoring in the added cost of maintenance, I think I'll stick with my KDX. It may not be a high-tech tractor, but it is affordable, endlessly upgradable, and fun to ride and work on.

I like being able to work on my bike myself; I don't think I could do that on a 4-stroke.

Now, how do I sneak and do these mods without the wife finding out??? ;)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Explain to the wife how working on mods for your bike is cutting into your beer time with your buddies and I can almost guarentee she will even run parts for you if you asked.
I agree, the KDX is not high tech, but it is a time proven, dang near bullet proof ride. At least for my meager riding skills. The coolest thing about a KDX is that you can ride it hard, put it up wet, come back in 6 months or more and it'll start on the 3rd kick, max. Not that that is a good way to treat it, but that is how Kawasaki designed the motor.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Wanaride: Everything needs maintenance! I own two KDX's & two Husaberg's. Each bike has there own special needs. :bang: I must admit there was no going back to the two smoke after owning my Berg. That electric linear 3rd gear just made it easy to ride in the woods for me. The power of the 450+ (470cc) four stroke could conquer almost anything that was put in front of me. The long bottomless sand washes that would bog down my totally tricked out KDX220, I just now give a little twist and I rocket over them! Now it's my turn to bang my drum. My dealer has great prices on excess inventory of last year models 04's & 03's I just picked up a NEW 03FE400E Husaberg for the price many people are asking for clamped out used 03 & 04 YZF, CRF's or EXC four strokes. Berg's aren't for everyone. You must be willing to have most of your parts mailed to you, unless you’re one of the lucky few people with a dealership close tothem . And be willing to deal with a few quirks! In return you'll get a totally tricked out bike straight out of the crate! Plus when you pull into the trail head everyone will swamp you will questions and offers too swap bikes with you for a chance to ride yours. I never rode so many different bikes! :clue:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
JasonWho said:
3 kicks?! :-) I had my previous '87 in a shed for 9.5 years. I took the fuel tank off and rinsed it out. I took the carb off and cleaned it some. I put in a new spark plug. I moved the kickstarter through its motion super slowly 5 times just to get some fuel in the cylinder. I then pulled out the choke, and it cranked first kick!
I'd count that as 6 kicks. My first kick includes tipping the bike until it pees, then 2 slow pushes on the kick starter w/ throttle open, then throttle 1/4 and take a stab at it.
9.5 years!!!!! Dude, what did you do to deserve a 9.5 year sentance? That's the only thing I can think would let the bike sit that long. Ha!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
How much more weight is the YZ to pick up off the ground when you do drop it? (and you will)

I own a 2000 KDX 200 and a 2001 YZ250F. The YZF is lighter.

And a flywheel weight is a MUST to ride the 250F in the woods.

Been riding my YZF in the woods since December of 2000. Never felt the need for a flywheel weight.

However keep in mind that when the hyper thumper needs service it will cost you much more money. Routine maint is also much more work than on the KDX.

Routine maint is the same or less on the YZF (based on my experiences) but things like top end jobs are much more expensive. I did top ends on both bikes last winter with Wiseco kits. The YZF was about $450.00 and the KDX was about $110.00. All parts came from Eric Gorr. The big difference was the head refresh that I had them do on the YZF.

The KDX will never be able to equal the suspension on the YZF. Actually, I have not ridden another bike that does. I had MX-tech do the YZF's suspension last winter and it is simply outstanding.........anywhere that I ride. The KDX has its good points too however. I enjoy the KDX when the trail gets really nasty tight. Under those conditions I am more than happy to swap with my son (the KDX is his). However, when the trail opens up and whoops are involved, there is no question.

Top Bottom