SX,FMX both take skill..and are hurting our sport.

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
Why are dirt bike sales 1/6 th of what they were in their late 70's/early 80's peak?Because although attendance is high at events,parents see it,and although fun to watch,it's nothing they want their kids doing.Especially if they check at their local track,and note the hourly ambulance runs.
We have our heads in the sand,folks.My daughter thankfully,is not interested,partially because I have not encouraged it.She rides horses competitevely,also a dangerous,but not "extreme"(gag)sport.It has risks,but the equivalent to supercross type obstacles would have her jumping objects where if they weren't perfectly done resulting in a serious crash,every time.
I have been racing for over 30 years,MX,hare scrambles.etc.I too love the feeling of nailing a big jump.But to do so in a race,in a crowd,with a lot of other amateurs like me,where if the bike hiccups,I screw up ,or someone else does guarenteeing a serious injury...forget it.
Supercross obstacles should be limited to pros only,and hey,have you checked out their injury lists?I think they too may change once a big name pro gets killed or paralyzed.
To have these "extreme"tracks for local amateurs is stupid,and hurts our sport.Eventually the insurance premiums will put an end to them.Then,the simplistic attitude of "I know what the risks are and it's ny business" will have affected us all.
Our sport is,duh,dangerous of course.Dangerous does not have to mean stupid,and to have these tracks at an amateur and kids level is stupid.
I just watched the Spanish GP.FAST track,a couple BIG jumps,but no doubles,triples,or ridiculous whoops.Attendance? 55,000.That track wouldn't be major fun?Lots of 5th gear,70mph.
I also rode the natural terrain track at Mid-Ohio last year.Lots of speed,very close racing,lots of fun,no major injuries all day.Now thats racing,not a freaking pogo stick event. Doug

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by d.u.g.
Why are dirt bike sales 1/6 th of what they were in their late 70's/early 80's peak?

No close by riding areas. When I was a kid I could ride out of my parents garage. They still live in the same house, but now there is nothing but suburbia for as far as the eye can see. I see the kids there now. They just dont have the opportunity to ride if mom and dad are unwilling to take them to a track.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, I can't wait to see Ivans response to this.

I also stay away from the crazy tracks. I know my limits and try to stay clear of them. It's the best I can do in a sport I love. Wear all the gear and single all the jumps when necessary (which is most of the time).

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I agree with dk that it has more to do with the available riding areas and the general harrassment you get when you ride them even on your own property. On top of the hassle of hauling kids to a track, there is a lot of expense associated with motorcycling. My parents didn't mind me doing it but they couldn't afford nice bikes and Dad wasn't gonna haul me all over the state to ride.

If it were simply parents over-reaction to accidents then skateboards and BMX bikes wouldn't be enjoying record sales. ANd with shows like Real TV on, you don't have to go far to see helmetless kids falling off of steps and railings.

One of our practice tracks used to be what I would consider dangerous. None of the other tracks available to race/practice on have been super crazy like you describe.

If you don't want to jump a double or a triple, then stay away from them. As long as they are built correctly, I like having access to them on occassion. I can't see how 70mph on a motocross track is particularly safe either.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom