SX Round 1 on NOW! [SPOILERS]

Necromancer

Dec 27, 2008
I'm not sure what BMX intro you guys saw. I watched the whole thing and didn't see it. I guess it's a good thing.

I was hoping to see RV do a lot better. I think it will take a few races to dial it in. After that, it's probably gonna be a 3-way battle... Well, 2-way unless JS gets better aquainted with his chariat.

JL... while he maybe a descent rider, he's an annoying lil MFer. I spat up my beer when he went down. All that trash talking and what happens? A lip fulla dirt.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
JBS: Hey, Yamaha, can I have some fuel injection now?!!!

Yamaha: Uhhhh...... :ohmy:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Okiewan said:
No, he just does stupid stuff so we can talk about it on the internet :p

Well at least he fessed up to it this time...I'll give him credit for that.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Micahdawg said:
Also....whiskey tango foxtrot = Trey Canard!?!?!?! How do you produce the 3rd fastest lap time (within 2 tenths of the leader) and only muster 14th place?!? He looked fairly strong in his heat with a 3rd place. :bang:

He was playin in the dirt with JL on the start..

He's who JL took out when he crashed. Probably had a hard time gettin his bike started.

I was hoping he'd go to the front.. Oh well.

Mar 18, 2006
I watched it on Speed Channel. Waaaay too much advertising. Waaay too much trying to get Dungey and Lawrence trash talking each other. I was disappointed with the coverage to say the least. But the 450 final was awesome. Maybe supercross won't be boring this year with all the viable contenders in the 450 class. But the commentators should stick to racing coverage and leave the personal drama out of it. That diminishes the whole professionalism of the sport. Good thing the 450 guys aren't children and can't get goaded into BS by interviewers. I was just going to give up on watching the whole thing, but I am glad I hung around to catch the 450 race.

IMHO

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002

Well you'll be happy the rest of the season then as there will be minimal of those issues when they cram everything into an hour and you get to wait until the next day for the 450's and a week later for the 250's.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Yeah, despite the short comings, it was an enjoyable main event and I'm glad they televised it live. Would love to have a few more live events - I'm guessing they will do Daytona live again?

The drama of A1 has set the table for an exciting season.

Canard did get hosed on the start of the main. He'll run near the front most of the year, with Dungy and JLaw. Weimer is on a fast bike and he is a mudder, so he might be a title contender if we get a few muddy rounds.

I hope Bubba will stay healthy and ride the hole season, and put in a serious challenge for the title. But I would really l ike see RV or (someone else) take the SX title away from Reed or JBS.

Mar 18, 2006
I saw 1 hour of 250 coverage, and 1 hour of 450 coverage. I think about 1/2 of the total was advertising, including the commentators' advertising. Rider interviews are great, when the riders get asked intelligent questions, or are intelligent (or mature enough) to control the discussion somewhat. I thought Reed and Stewart showed good sportsmanship, and I don't like an obviously upset man being forced to talk. Give him a minute to gather his thoughts and settle down maybe. Ask a simple question, get a simple answer "I crashed". Good one JS.

This might raise some eyebrows, but I think the Canadian Outdoor coverage is far better than what I saw yesterday.

I don't mind one bit waiting a week to see the races, or viewing them as two separate events. I'm more interested in watching the racing than being up-to-the minute. Just me.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
longtime coming said:
This might raise some eyebrows, but I think the Canadian Outdoor coverage is far better than what I saw yesterday.

You're comparing a live broadcast or something put together to air in less than 24 hours to a broadcast Marc Travers has 3 months to compile and edit. When Travs has to work with a live broadcast or go to air in less than 24 hours then we can compare apples to apples.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
longtime coming said:
I thought Reed and Stewart showed good sportsmanship, and I don't like an obviously upset man being forced to talk. Give him a minute to gather his thoughts and settle down maybe. Ask a simple question, get a simple answer "I crashed". Good one JS.

I'll agree with that. I thought he was gonna shove that microphone right back in Erin's face lol. But I'll take the live or next day coverage anyday, no matter if I thought it could be better or not. :nod:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It seems to me, that even when the Supercross/Motocross broadcasts are delayed a week, the production is lacking.

For one thing, Can Shaheen & the Fro please talk about the racing more and less about the background?? I mean please, last year at one race they spent a good ten minutes discussing the merits of the trainers. And when Emig was done talking about it, Shaheen dragged him back to the topic.

I'm sure the trainers are valuable, and earn their money, but the majority of those tuning into the broadcast want to hear about the current race.

I haven't broken it down, but I'd bet in the course of an hour broadcast, they spend a good solid 5 minutes talking about the actual race we are watching. The rest of the time is spent on them trying to make themselves sound smart. And usually missing the mark by a mile.

That's what I love about those Canadian guys, they talk about what you are looking at. They don't give you an hour bio on all of the riders.

I really don't think it's a matter of how much production time they have. I really feel they just have the wrong guys for the job.

Mar 18, 2006
I thought he showed great self control. I was afraid that was going to be a mess. Kudos to JS. Many could have screwed that up bad.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001

After the second corner massive pile up took out several riders including Trey,, From what I remember when the cameras left the scene Trey was still trying to start his bike. Looking at the lap chart he was in 20th on the first lap, 19th the second, then back to 20th and at least one lap down on the lap 4, so it appears he either had bike trouble and stopped to fix it or crashed again. He finished 14th still one lap down.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
Overall it was a good 3.5 hours. I had it recorded in HD and I blipped to the heats, LCQ's, and mains. They can have all the advertising they want.

My 3.5 hour recording cut off Josh's comments on the podium tho. CR wouldn't STFU.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I found this interesting. It a video a fan took of the race from the stands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiuasRLplOU&feature=related

At about 3:10 is the section before the finish line jump where Reed passed Stewart. Normally they were both doing the tripple tripple but on this lap, JS came out of the corner and slowed, only doing the double, where CR still did the tripples and passed him. Wonder if he missed a gear, or his bike bogged?

At about 7:00 is the section where JS made up some time on Reed but about crashed. In this section they were normally hitting the first jump, skimming the top of the second with their back wheel which would bump them up over the third jump and into the corner. On this lap, CR hit the inside of the turn and rolled the first jump, then doubled out and JS hit the outside and trippled, but missed the second jump with his rear wheel causing him to catch the third jump with his rear wheel and almost endoing. He still made up several bike lengths on CR and passed him half lap later.

Video is kinda crappy, but showed some angles you didn't see on Speed.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I was confused a bit by the "Windum" rider reference. For a second I thought that he meant Reed.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
I can understand not likeing the intensity the warrior chad reed displays... but it going to be a great season of racing and no one is getting handed any championship. If you beat Villipoto, windham, short.. so on you deserve some respect.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
i was going for sarcastic on that first statement. I agree he whines alot, but he is still a bad ass on a bike. Even if he whines while doing it, winning an AMA title this year is not going to be easy.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I heard that due to all of his comments over the years, he had to build a whine cellar.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…