kdx Clark

Mar 18, 2002
Can anyone tell me which is better? I'm sure each has its application. I ride a variety of terrain- tight woods with wide open streches of fields.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I think you mean synthetic vs. oil that comes from the ground which comes from decaying layers of fossils, which may include vegtables that were growing a long time ago:) If so, I think a synthetic blend like Golden Spectro is best for everyday use.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Castor base oils have very good lubrication, but tend to gum up rings, power valves, etc. Synthetic oils have similar lubrication, but are much cleaner. Mineral base oils don't have the lubrication capabilities of synthetic, especially at higher ratios (leaner mixtures), and break down at lower temps. I have recently switched to Red Line Two-Stroke Racing synthetic. Their web site has LOTS of information on all types of oils (http://www.redlineoil.com) and if you can believe what they say, it can be run leaner with better lubrication. I'll let you know after more time with this oil.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
and if you can believe what they say,
You cant. I had some problems with there two cycle racing oil along with many other people. Redline is aware of the problem and either ignores they have one or says the can not fix it without a total reformulation depending on who you talk to in the Redline orginization.BTW check your jets for corrosion and do not store your bike with gas in the float bowl with out fogging the motor.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I agree with bWalker about Redline 100%. I think synthetic is the only choice and am verry happy with Mobil synthetics in many cars, trucks & now the KDX. I did have a grin 2 weeks ago while coming up on some riders in the woods; they were running Blendsall and that wonderful smell reminded me of a riding buddy who use that stuff 20 years ago; I wonder what ever happened to him.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I use Bel-Ray MC-1, and have never had any problems with it, but my last bike didn't have a powervalve, either. I've only run 2 bottles through my KDX with no problems, but next time around will be trying some other stuff. I've heard of lots of people having problems with Bel Ray. I've heard some good things about Mamima SuperM, and Mobil 1 two cycle. Any experience with these?

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
bel ray Mc-1 did a good job on my kdx but it did carbon up the PV's pretty well. I now switched to super techiplate by KLOTZ. i have heard good things about this oil and I am already happy with the quality of their gear oil so i thought i would give it a try. i will let ya know what i think but i have heard from other DRN users that they like it and the PV's were very clean. my $.02

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey Stan, I used Bel-Ray and it really didn't work for me, even at 40:1 it still ran rich. I've switched to Maxima SuperM and haven't fouled a plug yet, knock on wood.

Dave the Ace

May 19, 2002
I second the Klotz super techniplate. I have been running it for a few years, and have not had any "gumming" problems. The oil is synhetic with 20 percent castor oil. It has a crappy smell to it though. I buy it by the case for around 50 bucks(10) 1 quart bottles).

Top Bottom