take calipers and pads apart

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You should be able to clean everything without taking the pads out.
However, depending on your type of bike, there will be one or two pins holding the pads in place. Don't remove the pistons unless you plan on replacing them or the seals. They are blown out with compressed air.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
how do i take off the calipers and pads off

With a big axe. :aj:

C’mon dude can you be any more sparse with the information? Type of bike? Front or rear?

More to the point why do you need to clean them?

Guess time: Your fork seals are leaking & the pads are contaminated.

Prognosis, not good, once the oil gets in them they may never work as well again.

If the pistons are seized then they will need to be pumped out a little & cleaned (warning don’t use solvents near the piston seals). Then gently pushed back in. If you are sensible you can use the correct size G clamp or wood work sash, but think before forcing.

If the disc is heavily worn the pads may need to be worked a bit before you get the calliper over the lip of the disc

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
If you use compressed air to pop out the pistons, put something in there to catch it. DON'T USE YOUR FINGERS!! When they come out, they come out HARD!
Trust me on that.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I was wondering what it would cost to rebuild a rear caliper on a yz 250. Any rough estimates? Both pins and new rubber things on them as well as the piston.

Thanks, Jim

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…