Tall Rider Quest-ions

Mikedude

Aug 11, 2003
I have a YZ 125 with stock bars, pegs, etc... I'm a new rider, so not knowing anyone and where to ride I joined up with a local club who promptly took me Enduro riding. Talk about breaking you in! Any-who I noticed on these long rides the guys stand a lot. Judging from how sore my *ss was I see that is a good idea. Also through whoops sections and woods standing seemed to be the right approach.

I'm 6'2", when I attempt to stand and ride I either have to scrunch my shoulders over, or bend my knees, of which both are fatiguing. So I did some checking with Renthal. They have Enduro Pro High Bend bar 613-02. I'm thinking if I go with a taller bar I can stand up right and save my energy for 3 foot mud/water holes and 100 degree heat.

Anyone else ever tried these taller bars or done any other mod's to accomodate being to tall? Thanks, Mike.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I'm 6'4". On my YZ450F I only have lower pegs. The 125 probably has the same footpegs where you can saw off the collar ("tube") from under the peg and mount it and the spring that goes around it over the peg, lowering it some.

High seat foam and a high bar are also options. However, I have found that after a few years of riding I have enough endurance to stand without a higher bar and seat foam, both of which lead to an elevated center of gravity and thus, worse handling characteristics.

kawi35

Jul 20, 2002
a good idea is to go with the fat bars because you need mounts that raise them up so with high bars and the mounts it will help alot. a higher seat foam will help alot too. just make sure its stiffer than stock, if its not then it will be soft and you will sink in and end up sitting right where stock puts you. i have both of these things done on my old and it helpes alot.

Mikedude

Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I will check and see if there are some lowered footpegs available. Perhaps if I get a couple inches there and then a couple inches in height with the bars I will be in business. I'm not sure where a higher seat will help me. I'm fine when sitting down other than I have been sitting to much. I would prefer to stand for a longer period of time to reduce fatigue on my backside and bent legs.
No doubt many things are built for the average human heigth. You ever sit in the back of one of these 4 door sedans like a Taurus that is meant for adults and hit your head on the back glass? It's meant for whatever statistics say is the average. I road stand up Jetski in the 80's and it was the same deal. A guy closer to 5' 11" was more suited for the machine. The rest of us will have to do mods. Thanks. Mike.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i taller/stiffer seat will help transition you from sitting to standing easier and with less fatigue.

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
I am 6'2" and ride a YZ250. With the stock bar bend I just could not get comfortable. I went with the renthal Jimmy Button bend on the stock clamps and ooohh it is nice. The standing - sitting transition is still a little troublesome once I put a few laps in and my legs start to tire. I lowered the footpegs on my 426 last year by cutting off the collar and was real pleased, need to do that to my new bike. The higher bars may change the handling characteristics but I couldnt tell the difference, just didn't feel like someone had twisted my lower back in a vise anymore.
Cyrus

Mikedude

Aug 11, 2003
I hear you. If you are old like me you have to pay attention to those ergonomics! :-) I was thinking of buying raw seat gel and recovering my seat, put some more foam pad in there as well. So that should make it a 2 or 3 inches higher.

I looked at my footpegs and I just don't see any way to modify them without going to a welding shop and designing something. Even then the shifter and rear brake are just about where they need to be in relation to my foot. So a major height change probably just wouldn't be worth the effort.

I plan to order the bars and give that a shot. Hopefully they will arrive in the next couple weeks. Thanks, Mike.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I'm 6'2" and suferred until I replaced my bars with a pair of fat type bars I picked up at swap meet. They are ~ CR Hi bend and I rotated them up also. I had debated getting ATV bars or Jimmy Button bend but am very happy with my setup now. Seat foam and pegs are stock YZ426. The only thing I have to say/admit though is that this is only my second season and who knows maybe it wasn't the bars but perhaps just my technique. Still I think I did the right thing. No more fatigue.

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
I'm tall too. I'm 6'4", 19 years old and just got into the sport. I find it that even though I have my handle bars sticking straight up, I cant reach the handle bars when I'm standing straight up ( I can but barely). I have to always bend over to touch the bars. Oh, it's hard to squeeze the bike w/your knees when your knees are above the bike.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
im 6'3" and i ride a 00 YZ 125 i have renthal Charmicle bend bars ( they have the least ammount of pull back ) and i rocked them forward a tiny bit, (oposite of what ricky does) but u cant noticably tell.. anyways, i have longarms so the reachign down while standing isnt a problem, i have stock pegs and seat foam however i will probably get some taller seat foam when i re do my graphics in liek 4 months..... but my main suggestion if u cant get a good riding position standing is fat bars (whatever band u want) and then the universal tapered bar mount that makes the bars sit up higher and lower pegs..... the yz 125 has one of the tallest seat hights of all the bikes so u definatly picked the right make and model ;)

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
Hey all.....

I am 6'2" on a 2003 RM250. This weekend I put new Fastway pegs in the lowboy position and a SDG tall seat. It makes a huge differance on the comfort. I feel like I am more part of the bike as opposed to hovering over it.

I recommend these mods if your tall.

Steven

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
Hey Zuki, ya got any pictures of your '03 RM250. I'm wondering what your tall seat and low pegs look like.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I don't if this will work but I took 3 real bad pictures. They should give you an idea. If they don't work give me your email and I will send them that way. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289213763

Steven

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
wannayz, i run cr double hi in tag x5 on my 03 kx250 and turned the mounts forward and i am very happy with the amount of room.

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
mikedude, you're on the right path in making this bike fit you, not "joe average"(i don't think i ever met him anyways). higher bars are going to let you "relax" more on those longer off-road rides, which will help greatly in conserving your energy. you'll end up developing your riding skills quicker and have more fun too!! another bar to look at is the pro-taper model known as "pastana freestyle"; many of the taller riders i work with seem to like this; its about 1" taller than a "CR-high" bend, and a little flatter and straighter as well(good for keeping tall guys forward on the bike) and already cut to a 30.5" width vs. 32" moto bars. pro-taper narrows the bar in the middle, which leaves full control mounting room on the bar ends for route sheet holders, clocks, etc...( moto guys, please disregard!). there's also different top triple clamps, which move the bars forward more; this in turn helps those tall guys stay forward on the bike; seat mods and peg relocating are excellant ideas as well; the point is to open up the "riding compartment" as much as possible to fit "your" height, not that "joe average guy"!!

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
Hey Cyprice, can you give a detailed description of how you lowered your stock pegs--I want to do the same on my yz250, and I think they have the same peg assembly. Thanks.

Wind

Dec 30, 2002
Just wanted to throw support to Zuki's post. In addition to adding Fastway pegs and SDG tall seat, I also got higher/forward Emig triple clamps on my '03 RM250. They've fixed this somewhat in the '04 but when I got mine I was getting all those back aches and, although I'm only 6'1", the new set up is perfect for me. The Fastway pegs also go back as well as down and I wish they only went down but that's being picky, would be perfect for taller riders. I feel lucky to have such a great feel on the bike. Handling is the same. Also, watch getting too high of a seat there or you'll raise your center of gravity when in corners (and that could get dicey in the mud). Good luck.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
Wind,

I just ordered the TAG T2 Upper clamps and Renthal Button bend bars. This weekend should be interesting.... The darn bike should at least be custom fit for me now.

Steven

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I'm 6'2, have lowered pegs and high bars with not much sweep. Also 1" bar risers. My bars are in a fairly stock position rotation wise, so with the risers they are a bit further back than what most of these blokes seem to like. I got arm pump when they were further forward.

Wind

Dec 30, 2002
bud, thanks for the tip! I turned my high bar mounts around so they would be "back" like stock and it actually was great! They are still high enough and I think it took some of my weight of my hands...I was getting that burning hand syndrome. NONE of that this weekend though I did notice the "slightest" forearm fatigue. All in all a good trade off for me! I think I'm really dialing-in my setup.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…