JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Pretty decent team to say the least... :)

I just caught this while monitoring the Red Bud Virtual Grandstand on www.cyclenews.com.

"The AMA's Duke Finch has announced that Ricky Carmichael, Tim Ferry, and Mike LaRocco have been named as Team USA for the 2002 Motocross des Nations, with Roger DeCoster as the team manager."

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
YZeater,

Not trying to step on your toes here, but I think Mike is an excellent choice. He is fast, consistent and gets stronger as the race goes on. Just my .02, but I think we have an excellent team representing the US. :aj:

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
I thought that there were going to be no "classes" this year. It's ride what you want and who would want to ride a 125 against the bigger bikes? Bubba has no experience on 250s or open class bikes.

Am I wrong? :confused:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by bwalker
Where is Bubba? I can see Larocco as a shoe in for the open class, but ferry on a 125?

Even if it were a requirement to ride a 125, RC probably could still make it around a track on a 125. Ferry would take care of the 250 class and Mike in the open class.

But I did hear the same as posted about riding what you brought.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
They have ruined the MXdN's just like the gp's. The new format is one class, you can run what ever you want and one moto. I'm so pissed. :debil: Bubba would kick the euros butts on a 125 just like Johny O, but I think the AMA picked the safest team for the win.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The old set up was a bit weird but i prefered it to this new one.The FIM seem to have a habit of contsantly changing things that work well.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I'm still not sure if I understand how it is going to work? Are they going to run qualifiers and then a one moto main event? Is it possible for one or two of the team members to make it and the third member not make the team?

Shank

Uhhh...
May 25, 2002
On the FIM, Didnt they used to run three motos in GP events. The only thing sillier than that would be to only run one moto...

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
biker,

It appears that the entire team moves up through qualifying, semis, and on to the final based on the score of the best 2 finishers. The final consit of 12 nationas and 36 riders. But then there is the goofy B-final for the 13-24 place semi teams? Go figure.

I think the team chose is excellent.

Anybody know who is the alternate?

biker

Sep 22, 2000
BigR,
Thanks for clearing that up. I think I got it now, but sure don't like it. I was really looking forward to maybe seeing bubba run on the 125. I think the one moto final stinks and I think all 3 riders should be counted. I'll bet most fans will give the new format a thumbs down. I do like the team we will have. All three are deserving.

RuNaMucK

Mar 2, 2001
MAMC chose Chad Reed, Craig Anderson, Andrew McFarlane and Michael Byrne as the Aussie team for the 2002 Motocross des Nations.
One will be dropped following fitness assessments closer to the event.

I looked at the above link to the article on the format for this year. Isn't the Sunday "A final" meant to be national 1-12 - (not 1 -6) 36 riders, best two results of any nation wins??

RC is the obvious favorite, (specially given the home country advantage) but not necessarily Team USA Ferry/Larocco beatable, and since it is the top 2 results that must be counted, and it all comes down to the one final, I think its more open than many think.
It will be interesting to see what the riders "choose" to ride.
More than anything I hope its close...

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
< ADMIN EDIT : If you enjoy posting here, I would suggest you leave the swearing out of your posts. Creative spelling of these words is NOT acceptable. That's your warning, there won't be another one >

patpipes

Uhhh...
May 5, 2002
Where is Bubba? I can see Larocco as a shoe in for the open class, but ferry on a 125?

Ride what you bring!
Kawasaki decided Bubba would be at too big a disadvantage on the 125cc and not yet ready for a 250, Roger did contant them before picking the team. This just shows how screwed up the new rules are.

However at least they do not demand we make the courses flat and fast now so hopefully we will fill it will monster jumps and technical rough sections to our advantage. Glen Helen would have been an excellent choice for the track LOL. Both Ferry and the Rock can be a little inconsistent but RC will get his 1.

Mxrracer973

Mar 4, 2002
Ok so let me get this straight is some one required to ride a 125 and a 250 and a 500 or basically ride what you want , really kind of confusing if there is choice who would ride a 125 while others would be upon bigger bikes.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by Mxrracer973
Ok so let me get this straight is some one required to ride a 125 and a 250 and a 500 or basically ride what you want

Nope... all three can ride 450's or whatever they would like. I seriously doubt you'll see many 125's out there trying to compete with Open bikes.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
They wanted Bubba on his 125 but Kawasaki U.S. didn't feel that the bike (125 on unleaded pump gas) would be up to it and James probably has many oppurtunities to tear this race up in the future.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
The track will be tight and slow, more like a supercross than a motocross only because of the land where it is placed, Smets is said to be on the Belguim team BUT will not race if it is like a supercross track because it is not meant to be that. Anyone see the Bulgiria(sp) GP?? that had a 30 metre table top, very cool to watch.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Bubba was asked to be on the team, but didn't think that he was ready to ride a 250 and didn't think that he could compete on a 125 with the low octane fuel that they have to run in the bikes for a FIM sanctioned event. I like Roger Decosters comment that he feels that Bubba could win on a mini. I was looking forward to seeing him ride too. I do think that we have an excellent team though. RC is a no brainer and Ferry and LaRocco are the fastest healthy Americans besides RC. LaRocco should be back to full strength by the time that roles around. I am not sure that I like the new format either. I think that a 125 could compete if it wasn't for the start, but they would be so far behind at the first corner that by the time they fought their way around everyone else that it would take a mistake free race to finish up front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom