yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
The cr450 wins in most categorys, IMO. I have an 01' 250F and my riding partner has an 02' 426. We got to test ride a 450 at a local riding area last sunday and oh boy. The only area the 450 drops the ball a little bit is:
  1. vibration
  2. agility, thin-ness compared to the 250F
  3. no engine braking, which might be a plus for 1/2 the crowd.
    [/list=1]
    If you like big time, low end hit the 426 wins in the motor dept. but the more I gassed the cr450 the more wide open my mouth got. I was doing a wheelie without realizing it. I still like my 250F, don't get me wrong - It is still lighter than the 450 and is more agile. If you don't need Horsepower in the high 40's, I still think the 250F is better, but the cr450 is the winner for me over the 426. Lighter, suspension resists bottoming better, and great brakes, craftmanship, and a very broad, responsive, easy-to-start motor. Just my .02 cents for anyone who has not gotten a test ride yet, and it is un-biased since I did not actually buy one and am trying to justify my purchase. Now just wait and make sure there are no bugs or design flaws? If there are they should crop up soon I would think.;) IT definitely vibrates more than the F's, and I don't know if it is the tuning fork frame? or the motor. That is the only thing I would change on it if I could wave a magic wand. If you are coming off a 2 stroke, it won't bother you. Otherwise, it might. :cool:

Scott F

Nov 9, 2000
The Yamahas have the tuning fork frame. Says so right on the shroud. :)

I agree with your assessment, and am also a potential CRF owner. I love my 250F, but could use a little extra boost for those 90-100 footers. It helps the confidence that you're gonna have the motor to make it.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Yes, my first guitar was a Yamaha

back in 1980. Hence the 3 tuning forks for the symbol. I would have never thought I would own a Yamaha bike after the turn of the century. :think

I think they started with pianos?

Yes, I would like a little more juice out of my 250f - but I don't want to sacrifice any weight or handling characteristics so I will stick with the 250F for now. I always have to be careful when jumping things on my friends 426, otherwise I overjump everything!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom