Texas riders

tantheman125

Feb 11, 2007
i heard that on public lands any type of off-road vehicle has to have the title the registration and the rider must have completed a safety course no matter what age. they said it has always been a law but they are just now going to start enforcing it, wich sucks cause we only have one place to ride here unless we go way out of town to the mx tracks and pay money to ride. so can anybody verify this law for me....or hopefully prove me wrong so i dont have to do all that **** just to go ride.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
There is a law that requires a OHV sticker used on all public land and in public riding areas. The SHNF is an example of a public trail and Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area is a public riding area. The cost of the sticker is $8.00 and it is good for a year. The money goes to support the growth of off road opportunities here in Texas.

linky

Regarding titles: All new bikes, ATVs, boats, PWC, yada yada now have titles. Many older vehicles do not. To the best of my knowledge, a title is not required.

Regarding training: There is a training course required for young riders on ATVs. I am not aware of the requirement for motorcycles.

Are you riding on public land, or trespassing on private propery when you ride? It is not a judgement, only a question.

I am the incoming President of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition and we are trying to learn where demand is highest for new riding areas.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
tantheman125 said:
its totally public land...thanks for your input man.

That is not the question. There are only a small handful of legal riding areas in Texas. If you are not using one of them, you are trespassing on public property.

Again, I am not trying to slam you, only make you aware of the potential problems that exist.

People have long ridden in areas surrounding major metro areas, like 360 in Arlington, the bottoms near Baytown, etc.

Where do you live, so we can perhaps target getting some new areas open.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Can the OHV stickers be obtained at most bike shops or do they need to be ordered? I need to pick up a few.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
psycho said:
Can the OHV stickers be obtained at most bike shops or do they need to be ordered? I need to pick up a few.

phycho:

First, thank you for supporting OHV growth in Texas.

Check out the following links

Texas OHV Program

Where to Buy a Texas OHV Decal

There is a misconception about the need for the sticker. For example, assuming you ride in Muenster or on any of the many tracks around the area, no sticker is required. If you ride in the Sam Houston National Forest, Mackenzie, the Canadian River, or BMRA, the sticker is required. There are other public riding areas, but those are the bigger ones.

Does that make sense? It is only required in public riding areas. It is also only required on bikes that are not street legal. I have one for my DR and both of my off road bikes. Eight bucks is a small price to pay, too small actually.

Now, the eight bucks is all ours and goes to support the growth of OHV opportunities in Texas. Escondido Draw Recreational Area (EDRA) will be open next year (I am writing the master plan now) and the City of Bridgeport is looking at an opportunity that they have. Other towns around the state are as well.

Gilmer is quite happy that TMTC came in and had taken responsibility for the area around BMRA, as it was an illegal riding area for many years. We are building on that success.

Another good point is that our sticker is recognized on other states, so you will not have to get a sticker to ride in other states on their trails.

Thank you again!!

BTW - Are you a member of TMTC? If not, please consider joining. We have a very difficult method, akin to using a rock tablet at the moment, but I am going to move us into the electronic age, as soon as I can get the pieces in place.

Website linky

Our website was just reorganized and still needs some work, so point out anything that does not make sense or leads to dead links.

A few more tidbits ...

Texas has been chosen to host the NOHVCC conference in 2009. This will be our opportunity to show the world what Texas has to offer.

There will also be a trails symposium this fall in the Woodlands, hosted by NOHVCC, to discuss a coordinated effort to open up more trail riding opportunities in the National Forests, particularly the Angelina National Forest in SE Texas.

The closure of all roads and trails in 1999 in that forest was the catalyst that brought us all together under the TMTC banner.

One last time ... Thank you again!

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Wow!! Thanks for all the info. I look forward to the reading and learning more. Thanks again!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…