Thanks MX-Tech, KTM Actually Turns Well

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
I felt like a factory rider for a day. After my first two motos on my 02 sx250, MX-Tech offered to let me try their complete shock for a moto. I was hesitant at first, because the 02 shock works so well. We threw the unit on set the sag and just made it to the starting gate. WOW! Same track, same turns, same bumps and holes. The bike turned much better, tracked great, in fact I did two more set of very technical doubles that I did not do previously. I would not let them take it off for the last moto. I asked them to back off the preload a bit and went back for my last moto. I always thought the KTM turning woes were due to the forks or slow geometry, but clearly proper shock set up is key. The back end did not squat, yet it was not too stiff and tracked perfect. I should note that the shock they gave me was an 01 MX-TECH unit and it worked better than my 02. I actually felt like I was riding a Japanese 250. Thanks MX-TECH and John.

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Kenkfish - what is your weight and riding ability, and what spring was on the shock ? Straight rate or progressive ? Rate ?
Very interested because I may have mx tech do mine...did the back of the bike feel like it was riding a little too high ?
Thanks for any response
Gary

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Some of the best money I have spent was having Jeremy (MX-Tech) re-work my suspension. Quality work, fair price and customer service.:think He might be on to something here.

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Patman - could you give us a write up on your suspension, type of riding etc? Did you get a revalve or the $250 piston relacement setup ? I think you have an Ohlins shock in your 96 right ? The WP PDS is a completely different animal
Gary

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
Gary, in response to your questions, I am a vet intermediate, been racing for quite a while, go fast sometime but mostly enjoy the MX type of racing. I have had KTM's for six years now. I weigh 190 and yes the bike did feel like it did not squat as much as the stocker, that is probably why I asked them to back off on the preload. The spring was a straight rate. What was amazing was that on previous KTM's, in order not to bottom the shock I would have to crank in compression and go heavy on the spring. This would cause that stiff and "stink bug" feeling. Although the mx-tech shock let the bike ride higher, it did not fel stiff or have that "thud" feeling. Back in Aug. they gave a very fast 520 rider their complete set up forks and shock. The 520 rider is a friend of mine and he told me that if he were not switching to the CRF450 he would get the mx-tech stuff for the 520. I did not experience any head shake and do have the 18mm triple clamps. That may be due to the 02 forks, their excellent.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Ken
I just found your post....glad that we able to help that day, its always cool to see a rider GRIN!!:)

Take Care, John

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll do a little scribble up sometime here. I have the Ohlins back from Jer and am waiting to put it on until I get my engine back from Eric Gorr. Reguardless of my next ride having linkage or not MX-Tech will get it to make right.

Icon

Sep 21, 2001
I have a 2001 400 sx and was contemplating getting my forks done. I contacted my local MX-TECH dealer and they loaned me a set of valved forks to try.What a tremendous improvement.I cannot overstate how improved these forks are.I also have a 2001 YZ 250.The MX-Tech KTM forks are substabtially better than the YZ forks.The forks ride higher in the stroke,resist bottoming and are plush.The bike seemed vague on the front with the stock valving.It now has a planted and precise feel.
I should mention that I'm from Ontario, Canada and got the forks and valving from Cycle Improvements, Waterloo, Ontario.

Top Bottom