Thanks to many... and yet another question

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
I haven't done any plug chops yet with the KDX220 but I did rejet my bike and have done a couple of other things that recommended here that have improved my riding enjoyment.

First thing was to set the sag and adjust the compression and rebound on the rear shock. I didn't notice much difference in the bike but then again, I'm not riding it very hard either.

I then modified the airbox and still didn't notice a big improvement.

Next up was to rejet the bike to a 142 main and put the clip in the 2nd from the top on the needle valve. I went riding yesterday and the bike is a totally different bike - what a difference. Much more responsive throttle and the bike just felt all around better. I'll have to do further refinements as time allows but this was sure a big improvement

I also switched to to Mobil MX2T synthetic and the bike doesn't smoke anymore. This could be due to the jetting as much as the oil, but I am grateful the smoking is gone.

Next step is to put new springs in the front. don't know if this will make a difference for me but many here say it will.

I went out to my first trail ride on Saturday to a place that was great. Nemadji State Forest in MN was the location and I was overwhelmed. They list maybe 100 miles on a trail map but there must be ten times that many unlisted trails which was where the fun really was. Tried a couple single track trails that were a bit rough for my 8 year old but we hit miles of two trackers that my son really enjoyed. We rode over 60 miles and my butt was sore by the end of the day.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know of any hop-ups for a KLX110 to give it a little more grunt out of the hole? The bike could ues a little help here.

2. How do you all not get lost when riding in some of these very large trail areas? GPS unit so you can at least know the direction home? Anyone carry 2 way radios?

Again - thanks to all for the help. More questions to come I'm certain.

Mark

Trick24

Mar 15, 2003
When ever I ride in Ntl Forest, the local forest ranger office usually will sell trail maps that coincide with the trail markers. (Never been to MN though)

GPS is probably a good idea but I would rather ride (get lost) than take time to read directions!!!

bsukalski

Apr 13, 2004
Well, as I have mentioned on other threads here, I am pretty new to dirt biking (and I am hooked). Anyways, I also have re-jetted my KDX 200...and wow, what a difference!! It's also SOOO much easier jetting a dirt bike compared to a street bike (ZX-9).

I ride a lot (well, lately anyways) at Rampart Range near Denver, CO. My buddies dad got a GPS unit....and combined with the maps you can buy for the area (the ones you carry, not the downloadable type) are priceless. For me anyways :laugh:

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
Nemadji is a blast.... getting lost is not a big issue because just about the time you're lost you find a familiar place (after you've been there a few times).... At Nemadji, there are houses close enough to every intersection if you really get lost or need help.

I have seen a lot of riders with handlebar mounted GPS units.... but I don't mind being a little lost here and there... (if I were in Alaska, I would feel very different I bet).... also, NEVER rely totally on a GPS.... the odds of them failing (batteries, smashed, wet... etc) are too good for you to use them as a sole source of navigation...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I/we carry a radio(s) all the time. Helps some, hurts some. Listening to chatter about somone's lunch isn't productive. Repeatedly calling somone to find out where they are only to find they don't bother answering because they don't want to isn't helpful.

There are times they have been incredibly useful. Worth the other uselessness, imo.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
I should also add that most places I have ever ridden a local has always been willing to give you directions... never count out the locals as a great resource (thats one good reason why you should always ride courteous... you never know when you will need some courtesy yourself)..

I broke a clutch perch in the REALLY tight stuff at Nemadji last year.... I managed to ride it out of the woods and into a feild.... where I ran into a farmer who grabbed some strapping and a couple of screws and fixed my bike good enough to finish the day riding (probably would have lasted as long as a real perch, but I replaced it before the next ride anyways).... then he even toped off my radiator and told us where the best trails were... he savd the day for sure.... (we were just trying to find a road so we could ride it back to the truck.... the farmer wouldn't hear of it)

It's nice when the locals actually LIKE the riders...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…