Equipped

Aug 8, 2012
This question was asked a while back in another thread, but died, so I want to ask it once more. New to this forum so please bear with me. My situation is, my son 6' tall has outgrown a Honda XR100. He never rode it much, we didn't have a good place to ride. We now have a pretty good place to ride and he wants another trail bike. We looked at a really nice used water cooled KDX200 but after test driving it, my son thinks it may be too much for his skill level. The XR100 had 8 horsepower, the KDX has quite a bit more. Is there any way to easily De-Tune the KDX and how would you suggest going about it? My guess is half of the power the bike has now is not needed at this time until he gets some practice in. The old thread mentioned a washer in the exhaust flange and maybe choke down the air box. I am thinking some jetting changes too maybe. The KDX fit him size wise very well, I enjoyed riding it too. He also looking at a Honda CRF230F, four stroke but I am guessing once he could ride the KDX, he might enjoy the KDX more. Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's not too much bike. The best way to "de-tune" it is with the right wrist.
KDX's are very user-friendly, easy to ride bikes. Get one.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I did the same thing for my son this year. He didn't ride much as we were always in other sports. He went straight from a small no clutch XR to a KDX200 and loved it. After day one, he could even ride my YZ just fine.

As for "de tuning"
Since your buying it used, does it have an aftermarket, pipe, silencer reed cage etc or other standard hop up items? If so swap back to the stock parts to start. (you can probably get them used on here for free)

Option two is gear it a little taller while he's learning.

Option three: (and this is not ideal) is put a throttle stop in on the carb (like the WRs come stock with)

Option 1 and 2 should get you where you need to be. You can probably pick up those stock items for free.

Tip. Make sure it's jetted properly and you should have nice smooth power in stock form.
Good luck

EYY

May 22, 2010
I definitely agree, the Kdx will go as fast or as slow as you want it to. They're very controllable bikes. After all, I went from an xr 80 to a klr250, to a kdx200 and never had a problem.

Equipped

Aug 8, 2012
Bike seems to be stock, or at least the pipe does. The other items it is hard to tell since they are internal. I rode it myself and it has a pretty good hit, but not as abrupt as a MX bike. I am thinking the first hill he tries to climb and accidentally rolls on too much throttle and loops, he will probably be ready to trade for something else. I am still interested in de-tuning the bike, after all, why not, if the mods can be removed easily after the rider has some confidence? EYY, the jump you made from a KLR250 to the KDX was certainly not as big a jump from a XR100 to the KDX do you think?

EYY

May 22, 2010
I think it was actually a bigger jump from the xr to the klr IMHO, as the klr was as tall as the Kdx but weighed as much as a tank and handled like one too. The Kdx handles well and is very light compared to other enduro bikes, and even compared to the crf230. He'll loop whichever bike he gets if he tries hard enough. The best way to learn to ride a bike is to make and learn from mistakes. if he wanted to trade the bike in after coming off once, then maybe riding isn't for him. Im sure he'll be fine though.

If you were really keen to de-tune it you could probably disconnect the KIPS and leave the valves in the closed position so that the bike only has bottom end and no top end.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Turn in the airscrew all the way. This will richen the jetting up a little and should soften the hit.

FWIW, on most bikes, the air screw is a small brass screw on the left side of the carb, down low just above the float bowl. You'll need a small screwdriver.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Disconnecting the KIPS is a good idea, I've done it before. No discernable difference when riding around the back yard.

Equipped

Aug 8, 2012
The air screw adjustment sounds like it might work. How would someone disconnect the KIPS? I noticed a bulge on the side of the head that said"KIPS". Are those the reed valves? My son also liked the fact the KDX had some rudimentary lighting if caught on the trails when the sun was going down. Thanks for the suggestions.

EYY

May 22, 2010
The kips is the Kawasaki integrated powervalve system. The valves open at high rpm heightening and widening the exhaust ports at high rpm, allowing the bike to have the top end 'hit'. I haven't done it on a h series Kdx, so somebody else might be able to help you there. As for jetting, if it runs well I wouldn't play with the carb as you'll likely notice flat spots and hard starting.

Cheers

Dec 15, 2010
probably the simplest method i would do would be to make up a small hollow tube (the size of a pencil/pen) out of alloy & slide this on to the bottom end of the throttle cable between the slide & the carb top, the length of this tube would restrict the carb from opening fully when the throttle is opened, when your son has got himself more familiar with the power of the bike then just remove the tube or trim a bit more of the tube. :cool:

Dec 15, 2010
yes throttle stop exactly..first mark the throttle housing with a bit of white paint/marker then YOU take the kdx out to determin how much or how little power you think your son can handle keeping an eye on the throttle position, now the tricky part on your behalf is to mark the throttle grip so this mark lines up with the mark on the throttle body...next remove your carb twisting the throttle until the marks line up..next look into the slide to see how far it has opened..next work out the length of tube you will need for the throttle stop, trim the tube accordingly by installing checking & removing etc i recon between around 25/35mm should do...let us know how you get on .

Equipped

Aug 8, 2012
I believe that will work cornish, sounds easy enough that even I could do it... Seller still has the KDX for sale. We test drove a Honda CRF230 Sat and it didn't seem as refined as the KDX was. Looked like more bike for the money with the KDX. The seat height on the Honda was also shorter and didn't fit my son as well. Will certainly let you all know how it works out. Thanks so much to all who made suggestions. Even though my son spending his own money to buy the bike, hope he lets me ride it some!

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
Mostly good advice here. I would steer clear of KIPS disconnect, next minute he holds it open bit too long and then he on his butt!! Throttle stop better idea...
Flywheel weight could "slow" performance/rev slightly for more confidence...

EYY

May 22, 2010
geoffro said:
Mostly good advice here. I would steer clear of KIPS disconnect, next minute he holds it open bit too long and then he on his butt!.

Disconnecting the kips and leaving the valves in the closed position prevents exactly this from happening. Leaving the valves in the open position however, may result in him losing control.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Buy it and don't change a thing if it's standard. It's the second easiest bike on the planet to ride. I own a mint one in top condition and they are gutless in comparison to an MX bike or a modern 4 stroke, I ride one because I am 47 and want a bike that my granny (if she were still alive) could have ridden in her sleep. Honestly, if he's 6ft tall and can't ride a KDX200 then perhaps he should be doing a different sport. I know a 9yr old who can ride one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBHIG7G4WU

Top Bottom