BSer

May 1, 2001
O2' YZ125, in the process of doing the first top end job. I installed a "D" piston into a "B" cylinder on the Yami' dealers recommendatioin. The reasoning is that the letter designations are for varitiations in machining and once the cylinder is broken in a "D" piston works in any size cylinder. This seems to make sense, what do you guys think?

I know the answer is piston to cylinder clearance...but my measurements with a vernier caliper where inconsistent and the dealer didn't see a need to mic anything up. Is this just common practice?

Thanks in advance.

BSer

May 1, 2001
Yes, D is the largest, and it wasn't in stock they ordered it. These guys know how I ride, and how often, so I'm sure they were pretty comfortable nothing was too worn. I'm putting it all together today and if when the weather warms up I try it out.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
I was under the impression that the A-D pistons represented a variation to the old boring/oversize pistons in iron sleeves. As the Nicasil cylinder wears there are incrementally larger pistons that cas be used, since nicasil cylinders cannot be bored (I believe) So as your cylinder wears, measure it and install the corresponding piston size (see owners manual). I would be worried about automatically going to the largest piston (D) as you might not need it and run the possibility of having a seized piston.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
On my 02 YZ250 I have a C cylinder, which states that the piston size is supposed to be 66.360~64.363 mm and the one size fits all Wiseco piston I have sitting here is sized 66.370 mm, seeing that it can fit the A cylinder which has specified a 6.352~66.355mm piston if you use the specified piston there must be too much clearance? Maybe similar to the infamous CR125 death rattle?

SMMICK

Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by BSer
I know the answer is piston to cylinder clearance...but my measurements with a vernier caliper where inconsistent and the dealer didn't see a need to mic anything up. Is this just common practice?

Thanks in advance.

Is this common practice.... yes, but it shouldn't be!

Most spare parts guys are clueless, you should always mic the piston and bore before assembly, especially when dealing with plated bores.

You may get away with it 9.5 times out of ten but if the piston is too big you can cost yourself a piston/barrell/crank.....I know because I have felt the pain!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom