ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
We have this little trail in the San Bernardino Forest here in So. Cal. called Cleghorn trail, but its official nickname is 'Cleghammer'.
Today a group of six brave souls found out the reason for this name.
We were split into two staging areas, and Eel, Capt. Jack, and myself had to ride to a predetermined meeting place to join up with RM(YZ)Jeff, Holeshot, and Mike. These three and Capt. Jack were holding up the 4-stroke honors for the day, and Eel and myself were the only ones representing the two-stroke crowd.

First off, I have to say that RMJeff is a lot faster on his new YZF than he ever was on the RM. Second, Holeshot is a maniac, and would have lead the ride all day had he been familiar with the area!
I swear there was a 426 shoved up my tail-pipe all day!
Then there's Eel. This guy will make you swear he's on a 250 as fast as he rides, but he's on a 125! Jack, all I can say is it's nice to have someone else there that falls down as much as I do! :p
I think if you get the Gas-Gas that will change for you, as it won't tire you out as fast, and will turn easier for you.

Well, after we all met up, we proceeded up the 'Cleghammer, and I knew after the first couple of miles it was gonna be a long day. This trail is hard packed, loose rocks on top, rutted, whooped out, steep up and down, kick your :moon: tough! My fore-arms pumped up so hard I could drive nails with them! And I wasn't the only one. I would be trying to work the front brake on the downhills, and my right forearm was burning and weak!

We made our pass over 'Cleghammer and back pretty un-eventfully, except for the timber rattler Holeshot almost ran over, and a near miss with an out of control quad that we didn't see, but heard about.

We split up into our two groups to gas up and meet back for the second loop of our journey--the Phelan ridges. Unfortunately for RMJeff, the other two riders in his group opted out of the second loop, so we were down to four. All I've got to say to Mike and Holeshot is: we found a new single-track that is the tightest :moon: trail I think I've been on. It was gas, clutch in, brake slide, pop clutch out, gas it, brake slide...... you get the picture. And there was no leaning the bike around the turns-there wasn't enough room. In fact, the vegetation was so thick, you couldn't see what was coming up next. It was like riding in a tube! :cool: Well, Jack kept saying he liked technical riding, and I think he got it on that trail.

Upon returning to the trucks we loaded up and enjoyed the hospitality of my friend who graciously allowed us to stage at his property. The refreshments were so good that I ended up staying until 9:30. (Hence, this late post.)

Once again I had a great time, (even though I crashed at least twice!), and I look forward to the next ride with the crazies from the So. Cal. Wrecking Crew! ;)

P.S. Next ride I'll have the new slide in--maybe the bike won't stall as often! But I'll still fall, 'cause if you're not falling you're not riding hard enough!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Nice report boy. Wish I could have made it.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Nice report ! The Cleghammer was a fantastic trail - beautiful views all around from the high spots and challenging terrain. Jack and I were completely whipped after this ride - we were like zombies on the ride home, except for some rather heated debate over what comedies we each like. Once we got some food into us we settled down a bit. :think:

I agree Jeff was definitely faster on his new bike - he was tearin' it up ! Jack finally conquered going down the sand hill. And except for the fact that Jack rammed my rear tire going down a tricky hill it was all good. I layed it down several times - mostly 'cause it was so slick. I think I'll take KTMBoy's advice and get a quality front tire for a change.

Phelan has always been fun but the addition of the Cleghammer made it awesome. I had a great time. Thanks to KTB's buddy for the brews, the euphonium solos, and the laughs. KTMBoy is quite the accomplished musician - he played us some of his band's music and it was quite good.

See ya all soon ...

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

After the first loop, I felt like stopping for a two hour nap, or a least a pint of Geritol (I wonder if that stuff really works). The near head on with the quad took a little wind out of my sails too.

I would have liked to ride the second loop so I could challenge the 'Boy on the sand hill, but the first loop took it out of me (especially pushing the bike out of that dead end we encountered).

RMJeff (WRJeff) was having fun on his new ride - he was intentionally hitting the bumps so he could jump and wheelie. Mike seemed happy with his new WR as well. Maybe we should have had a WR group buy? Eel chose to stay back, so he wouldn't steal the show (for that day, anyway). We didn't have any fire or beer, but Capt'n Jack hung in there.

It was a great day riding the hard pack. :cool:

Last edited:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
it's nice to have someone else there that falls down as much as I do!
LOL My pleasure.

It was gas, clutch in, brake slide, pop clutch out, gas it, brake slide....
Yeah, that was a lot of fun on the Eel's 125. It got so tight I started feeling a little sorry for him back there on my XR. What a pig!

We didn't have any fire or beer, but Capt'n Jack hung in there.
LOL (again) - it took me a second to catch the reference, ... funny, thanks :)

Cleghammer was an awesome trail, pretty challenging at times and never boring. Yeah KTMboy, that last loooonng downhill seemed like it would never end. The sun, lack of food, & beer made us pretty much basket cases on the way home. We must have looked terrible in that restraunt - I was so out of it/exhausted. Fun day. Say thanks to your buddy for the hospitality.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the comments....I actually like riding again.

About the only thing I can add is I witnessed a beautiful brake slide into a awesome laydown into the dirt by Eel. 10 points for that one. :aj:

I also learned that I need to hydrate well before the next ride. I had a pounding headache on the way home.

Lets do it again...
Jeff

SoCa DRZ-S

Oct 19, 2000
A great ride. Perfect for my first ride on the new bike. I'm looking forward to more rides like it.

Thanks to all for slowing down and waiting for me.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
BTW-Eel and Jack---Ron and I finished off the little fridge in the garage after you guys left, and started on the big one in the house. We were having such a good time, I didn't realize how late it was until I noticed it was dark out. Well, no phone call home, so I was doing some serious kissy butt all day today! LOL. I think she's over it now.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Man sorry I missed it. All I did is head to Palm Springs for a softball tournament and hang out drinking beers and margaritas with Bikini girls at the resort on Sat. afternoon and all day Sun. :aj: I wished was riding the whole time. (Well Sat AM during the tourney anyway)

Did I hear right we now have 4 250f's in our group. Jeff, Mike, and me on wr250f's and Bundys YZ250f. Congrats on the new rides.

Thumbsy do I hear 5! :cool:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by scar tissue

Did I hear right we now have 4 250f's in our group. Jeff, Mike, and me on wr250f's and Bundys YZ250f. Congrats on the new rides.

Thumbsy do I hear 5! :cool:

The things are great....I only worry about the durability of the motor. Im kind of a big guy for the bike. It pulls me around just fine but Im always on the upper side of the RPM's.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff

The things are great....I only worry about the durability of the motor. Im kind of a big guy for the bike. It pulls me around just fine but Im always on the upper side of the RPM's.

Yeah I'm petite :confused: It's hauled Bundy's butt around through races and trails for over a year without problems. I wouldn't worry to much. Besides it only money. We'll make more! :uh:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
All I've got to say to Mike and Holeshot is: we found a new single-track that is the tightest :moon: trail I think I've been on. It was gas, clutch in, brake slide, pop clutch out, gas it, brake slide...... you get the picture. And there was no leaning the bike around the turns-there wasn't enough room. In fact, the vegetation was so thick, you couldn't see what was coming up next.

DesertRacer took me on that trail when I rode Phlean. It is now my benchmark for the word "tight." :eek:

And that big sand hill? I made it up on my 200. Ask Old 'n Slow. So you guys need 360 - 426 cc for it? I'll have to challenge the 'boy if he holds the title. ;)

Good report, MoJo to you 'boy!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
William--I've been on several tight single track trails in Phelan, and this is the tightest, newest trail I've ever seen there. It looks like it was just cut within the last two months. I took a mental note so that hopefully I can find it again.
Sandhill dragraces? Bring 'em on! LOL!

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
It was a little on the warm side Saturday. Definate CamelBack type of day. Sounds like you guys had a good day of riding. I ended up entertaining an out of state friend and like Scar doing the old Strip Bar Bachelor Party thing. Except no bikinis on these women Scar!! All in all though, Id rather have gone riding.

Top Bottom