The effects of detonation on bottom end (CR500)?

lukaspriest

Jan 19, 2002
Hey, I recently purchased a bike (cr 500) in awesome shape except for the fact that the engine had no compression...at first we just thought that it was a stuck ring. Well, after getting the top end off we realized that detonation had occured...a new piston kit is on the way, and the cylinder will be rebored to be a 520. My question is just how terrible is detonation in reference to the bottom end? Does the fact that detonation occured mean that my bike is totally roached out and not worthy of repair, or what? I guess there were some "minor" metal shavings down in the lower end....aside from that, all seems fine...the rod is still in great shape and all that...Any thoughts? Just because detonation occurs doesnt mean your bike is trashed, does it?

thanks,

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Severe detonation can easily damage the rod big end bearing, and doesn't exactly help the main bearings. A careful inspection of those bearings is warranted.

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
If I found any metal shavings in any part of my motor I would split the cases and get it taken care of. You already have the top end off so your half way there. I know it costed me almost $500 to have the bottom end rebuilt on my CR 500 and those little shavings make for some serious damage.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…