Need help diagnosing problems with a potential CR500 Buy.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Ok, Ok, the bike that I'm looking at (for my dad) is a LT500 Quad (The shame of it! :| ) But lets pretend now like it's a CR500. :eek:  The same principles still apply here.

We went over and looked at the bike, it was very clean and had a LOT of extras/mods/accesories.  He knew how to maintain the bike and did so accordingly.  The reason he is selling the bike is that he broke his foot on it badly last year and has a wish to slow down a bit.

The bike had been sitting since last spring and he had just barely taken it out of storage. 

When we went to fire the bike it popped (backfired) a bit, then started.  At idle the motor seems to run fine, and when revved in neutral it popped and hesitated a bit but not too bad.   When in gear, the bike pops, cuts out, and backfires.   I'm not sure if I can call it erratic or not, the bike does not rev out well but also pops a bit at lower RPMs, it almost feels like it's loading up.  The guy claims that it wasn't doing this before and I believe him.

Things that I do know:

1.  Carb is clean (I did it myself) but I'm not sure how close jetting is.  New reeds with very little (2 Rides) time on them.

2.  Tried 3 new spark plugs.  They are coming out a little dark, but I didn't run them long or hard.

3.  There aren't any air leaks from the carb intake side or the LH crank seal.  I verified this. 

4.  I'm not sure how old the gas is.

5.  He had the stator rewound for a higher wattage about 2-years ago.

6.  The top-end has good compression, and the bottom end is in good shape.

Now, here are some possibilities I was thinking, mostly ignition related.

1.  Bad coil/pickup.

2.  Bad black box.

3.  Sheared woodruff key leading to the timing being off.

4.  Possibility that something in the intake tract is doing this, but I don't know what. 

I am kind of stumped on this one, so any ideas or comments would be appreciated, we kind of want to buy this bike ASAP if we can make it run, the whole bike is cherry.

Thanks again guys! :worship:

P.S. Remember that it's a CR 500 Ok? :laugh: 

Last edited:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
A goodie a LT500R! I know someone with a Blaster that when riding in the winter time after a fresh topend rebuild it would sometimes, most of the time backfire when kickstarted. After the loud gunshot it would start. Then when riding it (ran perfect) it would sometimes backfire while on the gas, then it would backfire if u revved it high and let the rpms drop about down to idle and tried to give it gas. It was not a bad coil or CDI. It just went away now it is hotter weather. Don't know what can really be the problem but I would suggest doing the basic stuff like fresh fuel, plug, clean carb, filter, etc...

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
The Fuel, Plug, Carb, and Filter are clean.
It really wasn't cold and the engine wasn't running lean, it is a BIG backfire (LOUD!) not a small one. It doesn't run perfect.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Yea tell me about it his sounded like a shotgun! Could be heard from blocks. You might wanna try cleaning the stator cause maybe from him riding in the snow it cleaned it possible?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
We took off the cover and it looked very clean inside, he had it sealed with silicone so I don't think that any moisture has gone in. I will ask him to take it off and clean it though. Any other ideas?

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
I would say to change out the fuel to fresh. Then you can rule out the fuel issue straight away. If it continues, pull apart the carb and check the condition of the needle, throttle slide, etc. It sure sounds like either an air intake or carb issue. Even though they are said to be new, have a look at the reeds while you have it apart as well.

If you are in the market for such an animal and the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid of buying this particular one. Sounds like a tuning issue more than anything. If the compression is good and it runs, it can be fixed.

My cr500 used to do the ka-POW thing when starting as well... I was always impressed the neighbors didn't call the cops for gunshots. :)

Cheers,
Sabooo

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i dont know about quads, but if it's water cooled, check to make sure water is green, not oily,, a new ignition for a dirt bike is 450 bux easy for all of it.

Top Bottom