The effects of detonation on bottom end (CR500)?

lukaspriest

Jan 19, 2002
Hey, I recently purchased a bike (Honda CR 500) in awesome shape except for the fact that the engine had no compression...at first we just thought that it was a stuck ring, but after getting the top end off we realized that detonation had occured...a new piston kit is on the way, and the cylinder will be re-bored to be a 520. My question is just how terrible is detonation in reference to the bottom end? Thus far, my bout with it doesnt appear to be all that bad. Does the fact that detonation occured mean that my bike is totally roached out and not worthy of repair, or what? I guess there were some very "minor" metal shavings/fragments down in the lower end....aside from that, all seems fine...the rod is still firm and in great shape and all that...Any thoughts? Just because detonation occurs doesnt mean your bike is trashed, does it?

So say the bottom end is yucked up because of it...Could I have the lower end taken apart and repaired? (Say, in a couple of years...and yeah, I am aware that it costs 500-600 bucks) Would doing so essentially restore the motor?

Has anyone else had a run-in with detonation befor, especially on a CR 500? What happened, and how did you get it taken care of?

thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom