the electric motorcycle..when will it happen?

Dec 31, 2008
i know there are already electric dirtbikes out there. my question is when do you think it will happen, that the electric dirtbike replaces the 4 stroke, like the 4 stroke replaced the 2 stroke? how long until we are all on these electric bikes? the 2010 yz450f looks like a slow transition with that black plastic on it too me.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Two strokes will make their comeback first, it's inevitable. Sometime after that, perhaps? Battery tech needs to come quite a ways before it is possible for the electric bike to replace the IC design. The only thing holding the 2t back at this point is the AMA 4t displacement handicap.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I like the idea of the return to 2 strokes. I do not believe it will happen though, at least the Japanese anyways. They always have had a separate itinerary, they do not want to give us any dirt bikes, seemingly at all. Its all business, not recreation? I do not know exactly why, ask Mr. Honda, he is still into road racing, from the beginning! Different cultures are different? I would actually pee on myself if they released a efi 2 stroke mx race bike, and what is stopping them? We will buy darn near anything they make, look at the return of the 4 strokes! Who would have figured, I came into dirt the last time they were popular/all that was available, was just going out. The next change will be the electric bikes, imo. The handi cap was lifted a year or so back, except in the pro ranks. I do not know the fim's position currently. I have yet to go to the track to witness any change at all, I have heard of no return of masses of 2 strokes. Generally imo, Americans do not want second hand race bikes, or just Yamaha's and KTM's? Or the dream of sponsorships does not follow being on 2 strokes? A better question back on thread, may be how the sanctioning bodies are going to place the electric bikes, completely separate is my gut instinct, if at all. Vintage Bob

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
2 stroke dead?
in this interview the KTM representative say they are not dropping the 2 stroke and injection is to come in the futur. They not making it now because there is no urge to do apparently.

link interview start at 7:14

Here in Qc, Canada. I can tell that i see as much 2 stroke rider then 4 stroke. All of my friend who ride have 2 stroke.

Last edited:

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
yeah,KTM has come up with some awesome bikes lately, i think they'll be the first to break the ice

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What a world, everyone gets a bike colored like a pumpkin? What do you think is the chances KTM can revive the 2 stroke market in Japan? Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki, not likely ever again. It would seem the Japanese 4 are not throwing in on the electric dirt bikes either? You see who controls the market, who started the mess with returning the 4 strokes, put Honda atop that list, sadly. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Henry paid the price. The first broken spine. Who buys them? We had 3, that's enough, sheep action. We got in it to win it. A 450 against a 250 smoker is a no brainer. Now, 250 smoker against the 250 f, once again, a no brainer? Orange or blue, that's no market for buyers,imo. And pertaining to MX racing. A guy intending on going pro, is never going to get picked up, unless they go with the tide. Yard riding could still be done with a vintage Cushman! I do not recall if those tanks were 4 or 2 stroke? It could be worse, who buys oversize muffler tips? Hopefully NOT dirt bikers! Vintage Bob

Sieg

Apr 18, 2010
My dad had an electric car in the early 80s. He always told me when battery technology starts progressing they'll grow more poplular. 30 years later and I don't think today's electric cars have much more range/speed than my dad's old school electric. I would really enjoy an electric dirtbike, as much as I like the sound/smell of my 2t, the serenity of riding in the mountains on an electric would be intense.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sieg said:
30 years later and I don't think today's electric cars have much more range/speed than my dad's old school electric.
I'm pretty sure your dad's old electric was no where near one of thee. http://www.teslamotors.com/ funny thing battery technology HAS come a long way from back then. The old lead acid batteries would never work in todays iTouch, netbooks, etc... :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom