The KDX aint too bad you know....

happydog

Mar 29, 2008
Just got back into riding after a spell on the road (too dangerous man :yikes: ) and bought a 99 KDX200 after having one years ago. Loved it then, love it now.

Went riding on the weekend with 5 other guys - all KTM (one 300 and the rest 525's) and safe to say that the little bike ATE the orange bikes :nod: In the single track stuff, there was no comparison. The KDX is just so fast when it comes to conditions that call for tight and nimble handling. On some hill climbs the bigger bikes caught me as I was searching for gears and of course on the open trails they killed me, but overall I felt that the KDX was the clear winner.

Interested in your thoughts though - one of the guys who comes off the 300exc commented on how heavy the KDX felt compared to his bike. I havent ridden his bike yet, but I must say the green girl is a b*tch to pull out of the mud.

Does anyone else find the KDX on the heavy side? If so, is there anything you can do to reduce the weight apart from a pipe change?

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Although I have bought two YZ250s since my KDX, I will agree that is a very fun bike to ride and very dependable and quick in very tight trails. As far as weight, I stripped ours down as much as possible and really couldnt tell much of a difference. Once you ride a modern suspension bike you will see the difference in weight and handling. The KDX is what it is, FUN!

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
I ride a '91 KDX250sr 297lb ready to ride, lots of creeks hills single track and jumping erosion mounds. I know the bikes way to heavy but its a hell of a lot of fun, swaps the lead with a '99 KTM300 and we stop and wait for the '06 WR450 XR400 and DRZ400 that ride with us. So I'm sticking with it.I've even left all the heavy framework in the rear gaurd because when it stands up on a rutted hill that frames strong enough for it to stand up vertical while it waits for me to climb back up to it.

Feb 26, 2006
I have a '97 KDX and a '00 KX 250 and both bikes are pretty light, a hell of alot lighter than the '82 XR 500 I rode for a while. However my 250 has a perfectly tuned MB1 suspension so when you ride it it feels alot lighter than the KDX. When I have to toss them around though the KX is still lighter but the KDX is also on of the lightest bikes I've been around, even than the new aluminum 250f's. Once my KDX fell of the stand and caught it around the frame, stood up, and held it while my dad found a new stand. As long as you have a good angle they are pretty easy to handle.

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
for age and cost, there is not a better buy out there than a old kdx.
i ride a 91 KDX250, have a kx pipe to save weight, removed the rear sub frame and put a kx rear gurd on and have cut the silencer in half. saves quite a bit of weight.

and just an interesting fact: when my bike left the factory in 1991 its dry weight was 107kg, the 2008 300 EXC leaves it weighing in at 103.1kg dry

happydog

Mar 29, 2008
thanks guys - I think I will get rid of the rear sub frame and fit a MX rear fender just to lighten things up a bit....

happydog

Mar 29, 2008
thanks Kiwi - will definitely look into that.

Hey with regards to the rear sub frame - I had a look at it tonight and I am wondering if it requires cutting to remove? I kind of assumed that it would be bolt on, bolt off but it looks like a continuous piece of tube. Any advice? Not sure if I want to make permanent changes to the subframe that cannot be easily restored back to stock.....

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
hey cant be sure on your model but mine as just bolted on! and since i cut the silencer down, i did not even need to make a new bracket for the silencer.

my gallery has pics of the silencer, tho mite be a bit diferent to yours, mine is an old girl!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom