The lighter side of spooge......

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Something to consider: This has generally considered to be a too-rich jetting (air/fuel) situation, right?

It can be caused by a too lean (air/fuel) situation, too.

Yeah. I wouldn't believe me either.....if I hadn't seen it mahself.

Point? Don't assume. If a ride feels lean, but is still blowing spit..it just might be too lean!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Interesting...i'd never have thought you could have spooge issues and still have a lean bike. Guess that my learning for the day? :-)

-Maurice

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah. Obviously, me neither.

But a lean roll stick (remember Jag's post awhile back?) got me to...uh...rethinking the situation.

Two-up on the main and an EEK needle got me back to where I'd been before porting...a bit of smoke on the fender as opposed to goo everywhere.

I don't know how it came about. A 38-148-DEK/4-TV7 jetset had been working great. I figgered that would be a good place to start after a rebuild (bore/replate and aforementioned porting). That gave me some pinging right about taper-time, but with the goo-spew I figured I was still dealing with a too-rich situation...maybe because of a better breathing motor. It did feel lean, but that didn't compute with the spew. After a 6th-gear sticky, I went to a 150, then a 152.

With each change, the drips got less.

I'm also running a 20% Trick fuel mix to get rid of that marbly sound.

It's running a whole lot better now. Ha! That CRF-X will never catch me now.

But then, it didn't before either! ;)

It may be pertinent to keep in mind I'm running an air striker RB carb. AS about 2 1/4 out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That's an obvious question, 'eh?

The obvious answer (consider the source!) is, 'Nope.' Not in the way of air/fuel at WOT anyway and not technically correct for the particular circuit I was wondering about.

Guess that still amounts to, 'Nope,' huh?

More like 'jett-by-but' (sic). I spend very little time at WOT. Response in that area is of little value to me. That's why I run lo-tension reeds with the reed stops set to lo-tension too. Still it did feel lean up there, so I pretty much stayed away from it. While I know from experience that main jet selection can effect response all the way down to idle I didn't expect as much difference as I got....and in the opposite direction to boot.

Who can know it.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Good info!
I suppose anything but complete combustion will cause unburned vapor to condense on the cooler surfaces, especially the mix thats reflected back in the pipe, guess it can't all get back into the cyllinder again...

"Jetting by buttometer, for advanced users" you should write a book!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
CC, good info. What are your riding impressions of the EEK needle compared to the DEK needle? I may want to give the EEK a try sometime. Who did your porting and what difference did it make?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
FRP.

The first impression was, 'Great! Lots of pinging and diarrea!'

That part is pretty much sorted out. Something like 130 miles today..and all there was on the fender was smoke.

The EEK is a lot of fun! It hits hard, but there is still a good bit of tractable throttle below the hit. No problem like giving it just a bit too much gas in 1st gear on some switchback and having the thing want to loop on you. The hit is further up the throttle 'curve.'

I put my 13T CSS on for today's ride. The bike had no problem pulling the higher ratio ( I usually run a 12T CSS). Still ran in 3rd gear most of the time, but just went faster.

Mid-throttle pull is sure hard, too! Harder than the DEK was. No problem pulling the front end over water bars and such.

I'm running the EEK at #4 as I did the DEK. I did end up with the airscrew out about 1/8 farther with the EEK. It ran right on its second 'sweet spot' the RB carb has all day....just a sliver under 2 3/4 out.

Only got a chance to do it once, but where I could keep up with that CRF/x with the DEK, I could pull him pretty good with the EEK in middle gears today. Once isn't much for showing anything, though.

One thing the EEK isn't good for...keeping knobs on your tires after those 130 miles go by! Dang! I left a lot of rubber somewhere!

Need an IRC tire for that area. But then, I'd get tired of picking myself up outta the ditch everytime the thing slipped out from underneath me on a corner.

K'in I have sum cheese with that?

For $7 or whatever it is, DO try an EEK. It was great fun today!!

G-loose:
I don't know where it would come from if not incomplete combustion. But, too lean usually results in things getting too hot (melting sometimes) and/or blowing up (ping-ping-ping). What's left to be incomplete burnwise?

Top Bottom