the ol' 125 or 250 thing.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2 180ish, 16 yrs old
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
buddies mx track, wood trails, fields, gravel/sand pits,
4) Do you have any riding experience?
a season on a Dr-z125l :uh:
5) Do you think you will race ?
I want to but don't think thats ever gonna happen.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yessum
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Definitely leaning towards the 2
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Suzi, kawi, honda, yami, some KTM
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
about 3 g's
10) Do you live in California?
ney
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
well, i know im big for my age. i also know that a jump from a dr-z125l to a 250 2 smoker is huge. I was also thinking if i got a 125 and was bored of it i could get a 144 kit possibly... No idea what to do and don't have any friends with (running) 125's or 250s to test... ANY help is appreciated, thanks guys :nod:

dirt_rider123

Apr 9, 2007
hey there. well a 250 would be a big step up from dr-z 125 so i say just go ahead and get the 125 2 stroke. i know people who weigh about ur size that have 125 2 strokes and it pulls them around just fine. a 144 kit would be a good idea after a while. cheers! :)

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
It all depends. From what ive herd you have to keep a 125 up in the high rpms alot. And all that. And that they dont have much bottom end. God fro racing. so so for trails. A 250 has alot more bottom end. And you dont hev to keep it up in the powerban all the time.

No i am still but not really in the same decision. I am moving up from a small bike to a 125 or 250. I REALLY thought about it hard trust me! But i am getting a 250. Reason is i am very aggressive. I will be doing hills and trails and all that good styff. But ocassionally hitting the track on practice dayd and such. Probebley never really race. And most of all. I am not stupid. I know my limits, and where i should be and i am very cautious, And i dont fly somewhere i dont know. And i dont show off unless i know i can do it... I feel nervous getting either. A 125 to small.. And a 250 to big, and i dont want a 4 stroke. But i feel better with more not less..

And you sound the same way. So i would reccomend a 250. You can always grow into it. Nut which ever one you feel better with.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
i boght a 2003 kx125 with a few mods like a pipe and bigger jetting. She rips hard and powerband is a lot of fun to play around with!

Mini Rider #4

Jan 5, 2007
I would get a 250 4 stroke. Cuz with your height and weight that 250 won't throw you around... so don't worry about that. HOWEVER, if you don't think you'll open it up much, go to a 250. If not, then it's up to you what you like better. Cuz with your physical shape, you don't have to worry about how heavy the 4 stroke is or anything, but it all depends, are you gonna open it up sometimes.

dirt_rider123

Apr 9, 2007
hey kurt 15 how does the kx run? i was thinking about getting a 2003 kx 125 for 2200. do you think thats a good deal?

kurt15

May 22, 2006
that sounds decent indeed. Of course I live in Canada, so i payed 2950 for mine, not sure what they run for in the states... But yeah, no problems yet at all. Clutch is good, don't worry if it drags a bit, apprently they all do that. Its got some decent power, rediculous compared to the dr-z125l i was driving before... Definitely a great stepping stone on the road to the 450/ 250 2 smoker!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…