The OLD BALL AND CHAIN

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
My ex-wife of 13 years encourages my daughter's riding and often urges me to take her (the daughter) riding. She thinks it's a character building activity. In fact, the Ex has even gone on some rides with us when we had enough bikes to go around.

Damn .... what am I saying - that the Ex was the perfect wife? :whoa:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...not! :p

Last edited:

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007

:) :laugh:

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
She realy didn't want my boy to have a bike but he's got one and my daughter has an 50cc atv. It was horid for her to see her 7 year old crash for the first time while trying to jump the driveway but when he bounced back up she was relieved untill it happend again a couple of days later doing the same thing, needless to say he isn't allowed to jumped the drive again. She's a great wife any way no matter what, wouldn't trade her for nutin. She's interested in a racin atv now wooo hooo.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
My ex wasn't into bikes at all.
I offered to get her one so she could come join the fun, but alas to no avail.
Her son is now a dirtbike addict though, so i have gotten my revenge!!!
(evil Dracula voice on.)
BWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! :whoa: :coocoo:

Mar 8, 2007
When I met my wife I was a trail rider and she knew that, 2 years later we were married, the following weekend I was to race my first 2 hour Hare Scramble, on a 1985 kdx 200.
It rained a couple days before the race and it is held by a river, plenty of clay and slick as ice, On the FIRST lap I overshot a high speed corner and railed a HUGE tree with my handlebar and shoulder, shot off the bike, hit the ground trying not to get run over, picked up the bike damn my wrist and shoulder hurt, probably just sprained so I soldiered on adrenaline kicked in pain subsided I can do that jump, oh yea there it is pain, now I cant squeeze the clutch, still raced on finished in 9th place, went to the hospital and had a broken wrist, needless to say she wasn't happy. I said hey it's an extended honeymoon.

I raced that same race 2 years later on my WR no misshapes and finished 5th in the 4 stroke open class, she still hasn't seen the trophy, and never knew I even raced that weekend.

She has come a long way the last 6 years and has no problem with me buying any safety gear, tires ect, that makes the ride safer.

I'll share another story later she keeps popping in and out of the room. :laugh:

mateo_32

Feb 14, 2007
My wife bought me my bike for my birthday. So I guess you could say that she supports me. I had been riding most of my life but I no longer owned a bike. I told her that I wanted to save up to buy one and she said no. Behind my back she save up some cash and bought me my bike! So I can't complain. Now she wants to learn to ride as well!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I gotta give it up to my delicate flower. She's never told me "no" when it has anything to do with bikes for me and the kids. I might get a dirty look once in a while, but it's all good.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It's always a pleasure having Mrs. Patman at DRN gatherings. My significant other rides the fence most of the time, so I try to get her to ride her horse. Now talk about spending money!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

You are one lucky guy Terry. :cool:

john81chevy

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2005
My wife did not like the idea of me buying a bike intially because of the money. "$3000 dollars for another toy?" (we already have a fish/ski boat and a classic pickup) She is often the voice of reason in our family and I had to admit that it did seem like a lot of money to get started with. At the time I was looking at a new crf230. A relative who had been riding for a cpl years suggested that I would outgrow the 230 quickly. After riding a crf230 and a few other bikes, I ended up with an 01 kdx200 for less than $1500. I have thought to myself on many occasion while picking up the kdx after a spill, "These dents/scratches would look a lot worse if I were putting them on a new bike." The KDX is better suited to my type of riding, cost less than what I was originally interested in, and has been a very dependable bike so far. My wife is happy I didn't spend a great deal of money on a new bike and doesn't complain about what I spend on upgrades and gear. She often suggests I go for a ride while she spends time with our daughter. The only way it could get better would be if she started riding too, but I don't see that happening. Oh, well, more gas for me.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
I have been told to go sleep with my bike because every free moment I had I was with it. When this was brought to my attention I realized what I had been doing, neglecting every thing around me, I've changed and so has every thing else to the good.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
just_a_rider said:
I have been told to go sleep with my bike because every free moment I had I was with it. When this was brought to my attention I realized what I had been doing, neglecting every thing around me, I've changed and so has every thing else to the good.
Much of the time a situation like yours gets responses like, "I work hard, I DESERVE to ride" or "she knew I rode bikes before I married her." etc. However, when she gets sick of our selfishness and feeling like she's second fiddle.....she WILL often leave........and that REALLY gets your attention! Your view on your situation and the decision you made, is called... maturity.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks bro. It's that little thing called getting caught up in something that makes you lose track of how much time you have actually spent on it and how much money as well. I was just getting every thing that needed attention done on my bike for spring, and that is in the first post on this thread, ( when are you gona stop spending money on that bike ) . I spent a lot of time and money on it and some things it didn't need but oh well. It's a 1996 KX250 and I can tell you right now that it is in better shape than alot of 06's out there, it's pratically new now. Why did I put this much attention and money into a 96? I love the bike, when I jump on the seat it feels like a part of me and thats it. I could buy another bike right now but why?

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Thought I would resurrect this old post. I came home last Friday to the surprise of 8 of my fellow Dirtbike buddies in the house for a surprise birthday party for me, And after all of the handshakes, etc, I heard the bell on my bike (yes I have a bicycle bell on my KTM, gets lots of use!) The sound was coming from the living room, and I was pretty sure nobody rolled my old 525 SX into the living room, went to look and there was a new 08 KTM 530 XCR-W. The next day my Wife said I could not ride it till I went out and got new boots, helmet, all gear etc. She is a keeper (the bike too).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
AWESOME Grady!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Very Cool, Grady. Congrats!

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Thanks guys, the last time I had a new (brand new) bike, was a 1987 KDX 200, so it's been a while!

I am already loaded up, the truck,camper, bike trailer and bikes are sitting outside of work (taking up 8 parking spaces), waiting on 3:00 PM. Going to be a Muenster weekend, come on and join us, will be a nice weather weekend, and we had rain this week. Dust should be minimum.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
All new gear? Heck, you got plenty of gear.
Are you sure she didn't mean all new gear for HER?
:)

(Congrats on the new ride...now go get her muddy!)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…