yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Hi there. today i went to tension my chain, however didn't loosen the rear wheel axle nut(lost my socket and didn't have a shifter handy and thought might still be able to do it without loosening it). I still tightened the screws on the rear end of the swing arm to get em lined up on both sides with the notches and just kept hearing a clicking sound....what is the clicking sound out of curiosity and what would it of done?? lol
bike is still fine, runs well though. The bike is a Yamaha YZ250 2004 Model if that even matters.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You have to loosen the rear axle nut to tighten the chain. Because you didn't do that and went ahead and turned the adjuster bolts, you have stripped the adjuster bolt threads in the swing arm. The clicking you hear is a result of that.

I strongly suggest that you throw all of your tools away and never attempt to fix your bike again. Take it to a shop instead.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
and i was actually told by a mate that it's most likely just the rear axle hitting against the hub and not a threaded adjuster bolt. the bolt still works fine :S

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If you really did screw up those threads you might be able to rethread it with a tap to a larger size. I would recommend the same thread pitch if possible.

Top Bottom