The Tactic Of Speed Shifting

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I was wondering if the tactic of speed shifting, basically acclerating through the gears without backing off the throttle, is harmful to a KDX tranny. Its a common ploy used in racing MX and hare scrambles. I would reserve its use to those rare instances when I plan venturing to a vet track or racing friends along the fire roads.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
the kdx tranny is your regular constant mesh type. Speed shifting should have no ill effect until that one time you miss the shift and hear it GRIIIINDDDD. As long as you are good at it, it shouldn't cause a problem. My fingers are always on the clutch anyway, so I almost always use it.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I know this makes me older than Methuselah, but I recall reading an article by Gunnar Lindstrom in Dirt Bike somewhere around 1974 or so on shifting. Basically, he said you never touch the clutch on an upshift, just WFO but you back off the throttle for a split second just as you shift, which helps the gears slide into position. Really just enough to unload the pressure on the face of the gears and then back on the gas.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks all. BTW, check out the latest issue of Dirt Rider for a small write up on the KDX; They site the bike's merits and deem a good value today

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
duke said:
speed shifting, basically acclerating through the gears without backing off the throttle
That would be my definition of power shifting.
Shifting quickly, while using the clutch; I call speed shifting.

Shifting without backing off the throttle AND not using the clutch is nearly impossible with constant-mesh gearboxes.

Will power shifting hurt the gearbox? It won't do it any good, but you probably won't experience failure because you do it(properly).

Mud

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have never slammed it into gear, a gentle nudge on the shifter/or you can keep pressure on it, and ever slight, almost imperceptible twitch of the throttle, and bam, its like greased lightening. Especially good in loose/slick terrain. And of course its more abusive to the trans. Anything faster or better, means a shorter engine life. Oh well?

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I love it when I am "at one" with my machine ... When I am , who needs a clutch?? My old "E" model has no tranny(or clutch) problems thus far ... Enjoy

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
domino dave said:
I love it when I am "at one" with my machine ... When I am , who needs a clutch?? My old "E" model has no tranny(or clutch) problems thus far ... Enjoy
I know where you are at! The last 30 some years, its never failed me. You just KNOW!

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
KDX transmissions are tough. I'm dancing all day on the shifter without the clutch. Just shut the gas off for an instant as you shift. :nod:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks all. I would reserve the tactic for those rare instances where ego kicks in and the need to get there first is of paramount importance...LOL

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom