The trip was great until....

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I made a silly rookie mistake and got hurt. I posted this in the Organized Rides/Muenster Ride, in case you want to read what WFOCrusty wrote.

I ditto what Rick said. All in all the trip was a blast. On Friday we rode at a farm in Rush Springs---yes a farm. There was a MX track and a 6 mile loop through the woods. The place was riddled with cows. Most of them stayed off the trails, but one smaller cow wandered into our camp and Kodiak (our Malamute) showed it the way out!:p Bob and 2 other guys ran into a bull at one point and waited until the big guy got out of their way! Smart move.

I loved Lake Murray, fast sweeping trails, technical, but not too technical. The cabins we stayed at on the lake were extremely nice.

I also loved Muenster. The trails there just went on an on! What a ball. We rode until the last minute before they locked the gates for the night.

We did not know what to expect at Draper either, but the trails turned out to be equally fun. They also went on and on. The red clay was a pretty site. We had a local addition (my guardian angel) join our crew, Jason, who is in the service in OKC and hooked up with us to ride. He was familiar with the trails and the roads (thankfully). We rode for several hours and took a lunch break. Then on our (or my) last run of the day I went down hard. I went over a blind hill and instead of it being a smooth trail, it was a washed out ditch. I did the best I could to slow down, to no avail. My front tire planted and pitched me over the bars! As I was flying through the air (upside down), I thought "this is going to hurt." The bike clipped my leg and sent my left leg to the side (its not supposed to go that way is it?) and I felt like a water balloon had burst. Then I hit the ground and the bike hit me again. Poor Bob had to witness this from behind and felt totally helpless. He and the other guys got me out of the ditch and removed my boot. Then moved me to stable ground before removing my pants to reveal I had injured my knee. This is where Jason took control (he had a cell phone) and called 911. He knew the roads, so he directed the ambulance to come to where I was. :(

Jason also came to the hospital with Bob and offered a place to stay if they had to keep me over night, and to help wash our bikes, rearrange the van so I could extend my leg for the ride home. He was true guardian angel that day!

I go for an MRI this a.m. and will find out the results on Tuesday when I go back to the doctor.

I have a good attitude about the whole thing---it could have been much worse!

In addition, I was riding the new KTM 200 so well all weekend, that I cannot wait to ride it again--regardless of the stupid mistake I made! I guess it is a good thing we can't ride in Illinois yet. Hopefully by the time riding season rolls around, I will be able to get on the pumpkin again!

I sure ended our trip with a bang! But it was fun while it lasted!

Anne

P.S. I will try to write more later, but the it is time for a pain pill and to get ready for the MRI. I will keep you informed.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
:eek:

Wow, Anne. I totally missed your post in the Ride Report forum! You certainly have a good attitude about it all. Sounds like you were doing well on the KTM. And I wouldn't worry about those mistakes-- happens to everyone at some time or another.

How does the knee feel? Are you able to walk on it at all?

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
No, I am not able to walk on it at all. I tried to put some weight on it and it buckled to the left. I have a leg immobilizer and some pain pills. The Doctor seemed to think it was quite serious---he won't know for sure until he reads the MRI, but he seemed to think it was the ACL, MCL & Miniscus. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for asking, Lori.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Oh no! I really really hate to hear about knee injuries. 'Hope it's all just some ligament tears that can be patched up easily. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Damn, damn, damn. That's what I was afraid of. Too many knee injuries around here lately! Guess you're going to be next in line for braces. :(

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Awwww man!!! Sorry to hear about your injury Anne. :( Let us know the verdict. I'm hoping for a rapid recovery for you.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Recover Quickly & Fully

Sorry to hear about the injury. I have ridden in all 3 spots you mentioned and all are lots of fun. Riding within view of the lake at Murray is great. The place is kinda small compared to the other two but its a blast. I used to ride at Draper almost every weekend, any idea where you started or got hurt?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I have just been through all that fun crap myself, so I know how you feel. I was back on the bike (CAREFULLY!) 3 months after surgery, as per doctor's orders. The good thing is that it's a common injury and a simple repair. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…