The wost happened, need some advice

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I bought a 2001 Husqvarna wr250 a week ago and the piston grenaded today :ugg: it lost compression and died on the trails and i had to push the bike home. I took off the cylinder only to find the worst case scenerio. There were two chunks that came off the piston and the top ring blew apart and trashed the exhaust side of the cylinder. The bike has been running fine but on the exhaust side of the piston the rings are pretty much stuck in and welded to the piston which tells me its been getting too hot there. On the head there are hundreds of tiny crators which could be from detonation but most likely from the metal that was floating around in the cylinder. This makes me suspicous because i've heard that the person who sold me the bike had the same thing happen exept no damage ie. it lost compression and he said he blew out the carb and for some reason it was ok again. I dont think anything got into the bottom end and it doesnt look like theres any damage down there. There is also two small chunks missing from right below the power valve on the cylinder, im wondering if this can be repaired?? And how much is this going to cost me assuming the cylinder can be welded, bored, and replated? And finaly , any ideas on how this happened?? Im buying a digital camera tonight so i will have detailed pics soon.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Can't help with the rest, but if the piston broke apart as well as the rings, I wouldn't just assume that there's nothing in the bottom end. Good luck with it!

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
The bottom ring was intact and i think saved some particles from finding their way down there but i guess at this point i shouldnt assume anything.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
$175 for cylinder evaulation and replating. Check out Eric Gorr's web site, he has a great reputation on these boards. When I finally break down the YZ for a new top-end, the jugs going to Gorr for some porting. Fun fun!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I wonder if the cyl is out of bore?? Meaning that it's tappered and the piston wobbled and the skirt got caught on the exhaust port?? At this point it may be worth it too take the motor off and flush out the bottom end..
Rick

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I took some pics today, go here to my gallery and look at the wr250 pics. Im wondering how much this is going to cost me with the main factor being if the cylinder can be repaired.

Top Bottom