sluggo69

May 24, 2003
the weather is finally cooling off down south . on my last ride i noticed a little off idle hesitation so i decided to go up one size on the pilot jet. . bike was set at 155main,42 pilot with the needle clip in the top position with the air screw turned 1/2 turn out .we ride mostly around sealevel elevation. i recalibrated to 155 main ,45 pilot and moved the clip to the second from the top postion and the air screw 1 turn out. it idled super high and barely responded to adjustments in the idle screw and idled down some if i closed the air screw all the way. i even returned the settings to where i started and the S.O.B. still idles high and still wont respond to adjustmests in the idle screw.and again it will only idle down some if a close the air screw all the way. wtf is going on here???? :bang: :(

Last edited by a moderator:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
How does the slide look? Does it have rough edges or scuff marks not allowing it to drop all the way? How about needle straightness? Torn or loose intake boot making a lean condition?Just a couple of quick thoughts..........

sluggo69

May 24, 2003
carb problems

everything looked ok.slide,needle and intake boots. what befuddles me is ive done this at least a dozen times and never had any problems. the only thing i did different this time was to put a regular serpentine clamp (autozone) which is slightly wider on the front intake boot because the original one broke. any ideas guys??? :bang:

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
Hey sluggo69,

I have the same bike 03 200, if you changed the clamp on the intake side of the carb
( not the air box side) you may have the clamp resting on top the raised knotch on the carb
where it slides into the slot in intake manifold creating a large air leak, thus high idle. I looked at mine and there is not enough room for a wider clamp other than stock.
Check it with a can of wd40, start bike and spray it where the new clamp is, if the idle changes get a stock clamp.

Hope this is of use

JD

Aug 1, 2004
JunkYard Dog mentions squirting the intake boot with WD40. That oil/solvent may be a little thin to effect the idle if the intent is to seal the air leak and lower the idle. I use starting fluid and listen for the idle to pick up. Maybe WD is combustible and does the same thing - pick up the idle speed.

sluggo69

May 24, 2003
i think i found the leak

its on the airbox side intake boot i think. i think that i may have torn or loosened it when pulling the carb off. its kinda in the way so i kinda pulled it back and rested it on the frame rail to get it out of the way. i checked it with a can of carb cleaner and the idle dropped down when i sprayed the upper portion of the boot where it connects to the airbox.and JD, thanks for the tip. even though it wasnt leaking by the clamp on the intake side im still gonna change to a stock clamp to be safe.

thanks for the help guys,,sluggo

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
BTW, Looks like you found the problem, but when I experience an off Idle hesitation WHEN GASSING IT HARD I go up 1 on the main not the pilot. Remember, it's throttle position, not RPM that matters.

Top Bottom