This Vor Is Awesome - 2000 Mx400

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Everyone - I just wanted to take a moment and comment about a really neat bike that I happened to pick up last summer. I came across a great deal on this VOR and couldn't resist the opportuinity to own one - so I bought it!! I have owned MANY different machines in my 40 plus years of riding/owning and this little sweetheart has found a place in my heart!!
It took me some time to get the hang of the "VOR" feel - I had just sold my xr250 and my 93 CR500 so I was going right from typical jap... I found out that I really needed more bar height and switched the low motocross style bars to ATV (stock Banshee) bars - perfect for my height!! I am 6 foot 1 and 234 pounds - the motor in this Italian stallion (it is all black) sounds and pulls like a formula motor with a tone of its own - it has an extremely torquey bottom and a high rev that is unreal!! The Paoli forks and Ohlins rear seem to be getting BETTER with age (I am being honest!!). I have got well over 300 hours on it (I live in Michigan with 4000 acres of state land out my back door - I ride at least 2 hours a day and am currently riding in 4 plus inches of snow with screws) and it still starts first or second kick even when ice cold!!!! The bolt together frame has given me NO trouble, the bike is a true piece of art to do maintenance on and this thing is so well built it is unreal!!
A few problems that I would like to mention are: Italion o-rings seem to be made of a harder rubber - if you own one of these you should replace the o-ring on the oil filter cover as it will seep a little after changing the filter a few times. The stock Renthal O-Ring chain (r-3) does not have the tensile strength necessary for using screws in the winter - I have broken (I mean snapped links in half!!) mine twice now and currently have a new chain/sprockets ordered for it!! By the way - parts prices seem to be right in line with the main stream of other dirtbikes - the problem is these bike are new enough that Dennis Kirk and Chapparel mail order houses have nothing for them - so you are stuck with the manufacturer for parts - but again - their prices are right in line ($46 for a rear sprocket/18 for front/80 for a complete graphics kit ect...). Everything else (after half a year of hard hard riding) is doing great!!! And this bike is a RIOT to rip on!!
My only regret is that it doesnt have lights - I would like to street legal it so I could go run the MCCCT trail on it!!
Are there other owners of these neat bikes out there that have had simular experiences with their VOR's?? Anybody had problems that I should be aware of with mine?? I recently called VOR in California to ask if there were any problems that they knew of associated with them - they said that a few of the early models had soft cam gears in them (the top end is gear driven instead of chain - this is WAY COOL!!!) that had to be replaced - anybody had any experience with this??
And the next issue is LETS GET TOGETHER AND RIDE!! Seriously, I am always looking for fellow riders to hit the trail with!!! We have some FANTASTIC trail riding here in Michigan - if you like to woods ride and have never tryed Michigan you are really missing out!!! E-mail me and lets get together this spring!!!
Scott (woodsy)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have a 2000 503 MX, 2001 503 V-Cross, and a demo 2002 450 Enduro in the garage. I have riden a 2001 400 V-Cross and 2000 400 Enduro.

The 400 Motors are more fun in my opinion than the 503's. ( I still love my 503...just being honest). The 400's are awesome all around motors. Maybe not as good for an aggressive Pro, but for the rest of us that 400 is perfect.

Reliability? I have hammered my 2001 503 V-Cross for a year now with amazing reliability. I still ride it in the snow..its a blast because it has the power to blast through the snow. We have 6-8 inches in our feilds and 4th gear feet up slides are the ticket with that machine. Very stable at speed in the snow. Its got the typical dings, things like bent radiators, scratches, third set of handle bars, etc... but that VOR has been bullet proof even though I haven't been. I ride the 2000 now when my 16 year old has an attitude. On the open sections it goes so fast it blows my helmut up over my eyes if I look up. ( For those DRN'ers who have been out here that 503MX is so much faster than my old Husky on that back straight it has to be see to be believed). Scary fast. Faster than the 2001 503 V-Cross.

The 2000 and 2001 are similar. I have the part number differences should you have problems getting parts. Most with interchange.

One thing I found with the 2000 is I slid the forks up in the triple clamp to so threee rings are showing and it handled as well as the 2001. Also I got the enduro air filter stuffed in it. Another thing is run the oil at 1.2 liters, (little more than a quart). I also found that running Yamaha 01 fork oil is good for the woods but I need 02 for fast stuff.

My 2001 503 V-Cross was about right stock. A few clicks on the fork and shack adjusters got it in the ball park. The Cam is a milder grind on the 2001. For woods its way better. For MX...it depends. The 2000 503 was explosive where the 2001503 is smooth in the transition from mid to top end. (If one of you have a 503 MX and the cam has an "X" on it...its too agressive for most...and it also will over rev if you let it. BIG HP and the ability to make BIG RPM's...some guys got rid of the RPM limiter and that cam rev's to the moon and can hurt things if the RPM limiter has been removed. If you ever rebuild the thing, try a 2001 cam)

If you ever have issues getting parts or getting advice, drop an e-mail.

(One more opinion....if one of you guys wants an older VOR for an all around dirt bike, the absolute BEST one to have is the 2001 400 V-Cross. IF you can find one. I rode one for a day last summer and its still my favorite motorcycle to ride. Period. Has the MX motor/cam/cases with Enduro ignition. MX suspension. Yes it can have lights. Chassis Feels like a 250. Smooth power. Enough power. Not too MUCH power. Now if I only had a little spare cash!)

Last edited:

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
hey good write up guys....I had an '00 VOR 400MX & after I got the suspension squared away & got used to it the bike was a lot of fun...
the engine was the most well mannered & easiest starting thing this side of an XR75....LOL
damn that was one sweet looking machine too....only complaints were the weight & tall saddle height...damn those Italians must be big dudes :eek:

looking into buying an '01 VOR 503 I enjoyed that 400 so much....for me all I do is moto so the extra CCs are very appreciated.....

hey how do you get a demo '02 450???....LOL
seriously what do you think of the new '02 design???

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
vntmx Its a year long story.

The new VOR has a radically different chassis. Really thin. Can move around better. Can slide all the way to the triple clamps if you want. Almost has a late model CR Honda feel to it. The rear suspension is awesome for the woods with its high and low speed compression damping adjustments.

Jetted right, it starts like a typical VOR.

Its a good handler, a nice blend of stability and cornering. I like the way it works. The E-Start is nice but I don't use it much.

The frame is really strong. I've crushed that bike off jumps and into things and there is no sign of flex or the wobbles. I'm kinda heavy so even though I'm not all that fast I test the limits of that chassis.

Changing oil is easy, so is the filter access. Its on the left side under the number plate on the 2002.

It has nice handle bars, controls, plastic, etc.

I haven't put the time on this 2002 yet to get really critical. Only about 20 hours. I've been discovering the crazed power of that 2000 VOR 503 MX and the snow prowess of my horses this last month or so. That 2000 is an absolute blast in the snow. The 2002 actually handles better in the snow but doesn't throw the big roost that 503 does! My percheron (Draft Horse turned saddle horse) is better than both when the snow get over a foot deep. Our fields are still fun with the VOR's but the woods is Percheron territory right now.

( I rode another 2002 450 Enduro Demo this summer in Colorado for a while and the one I now have in the woods and fields where I live in New York until the BIG snows piled up to where my farm tractor couldn't clear the trails.):)

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Still more on the VOR

Hi Again - Wow!! So far it sounds like I am not alone on my "VOR" advenchore!!!! I spent a couple more hours playing in the snow on my MX400 today and had another interesting experience. I broke the chain again (this makes the 3rd break!!). The chain that I am having problems with is a Renthal "3" this is what it says on the gold side plates. Does anyone know if this chain is what came stock on the 2000 400MX? I believe that it is (I am not sure though as I did purchase the bike used). The gearing that is on it is 50 rear and 14 front. In all fairness to the chain I will again state that the sprockets have many many hours on them and are due for changing (I have them ordered thru a place called Funwheels in Colorado) and I also have the new chain ordered too. I did choose to go with a different chain (I am going with a DID chain that is rated at 8250 pounds tensile strength instead of another 7000 pound tensile Renthal. Anybody had any simular expereince with this particular chain?? By the way, I have carefully examined the chain and is is NOT worn abnormally, it shows very little wear between the links (hardly any movement between pins, the rollers do move a little but all are in place. I had NO problem with it until I put the screws in the tires and got that GREAT hookup thing going (you prievious writers know what I am talking about - riding a 4th gear wheelie across my grass field covered in 4 inches of wet sloppy snow is just plain OUTSTANDING!!!)! I just cant believe that this VOR is producing the kind of ponies that could snap a chain like this - even under hook up conditions like that!! Maybe it is the typical of Renthal?
On another possibly related matter.. The first time this happened I thought maybe I had adjusted the chain to tightly. When I adjust my chain I put my body across the seat, reach down and pull on the swing arm as hard as I can to compress the rear mono as much as possible, at that point I check the chain tension and look for at least 3/4 in of play in the chain. Does any one have any suggestion of a better way to set chain tension??
Also I would invite ANY critical comments about the VOR to be mentioned too. The way I look at it is that if we share some of this kind of stuff maybe we can learn from and prevent others from having to go thru the same problems...
Thanks again for the comments everyone!!
Scott (woodsy)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
You may have hit the nail on the head here. I actually have myself and my son weight my bikes down until there is a straight line from the countershaft sprocket thru swingarm pivot thru rear axle. At that point I adjust so there is about 1.5-2 inches play. (Tugging a little, not loose play) The reason is in the mud/snow there will be buildup on the chain and sprockets that tighten the chain further. Have to leave clearance for that junk that freezes on the chain. That might be why you are snapping chains.

The renthal is not stock on the 2001 I have. It had a WMP or something made in Italy. I still have the origional chain...amazing. I swapped to D.I.D on my other bikes.

Try loosening that chain. Also if that is your issue be glad its just the chain. On some bikes you could damage the cases/transmission with that type of stress.

Keep us informed.

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
thats a strange one....never had an issue with the chain at all on my '00 VOR 400MX....

critical...hmmmmmm?...can't be...I had absolutely no issues with my VOR it was a great bike...only things I could complain about was seat height(too tall) & weight...needs to lose 15lbs & stock suspension was way too stiff....but as far as mechanical issues I had none!!!

thanks for the heads up on the '02 VOR sounds like a damn good one!!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
vntgmx, when the snow clears pay us a visit up here with that VOR and we can compare notes.

VOR 492

Feb 18, 2001
VOR For Sale

Hey all you VOR riders, looking for a real adventure. Got the real thing for sale my 99 VOR 503 enduro. It's not the tame cam version, just twist and hold on. Just barely broke in, Still has original chain and sprockets.

Will make someone a Happy VOR owner, very cheap also.

grissel

Jul 22, 2001
Wow All This VOR Talk

Ive had my Vor 530en for 2 week now,my back ground was 12 years in motocross then into drag racing. I havent riden for 10 yrs now and my last bike was a YZ 490 im now 36, so when i wanted to get back into bikes i wanted a 4 stroke but light and with power and i dont look good in orange.
You talk about power slides in snow, well ive been running my bike in, and the temp has been 38c in your temp 100 i think.
Im very happy with the bike so far, i could find a aftermarket muffler for it so i ordered a vor mx muffler for $350 australia dollars under half in US dollars which is pretty good value. From my drag racing days i cant leave a motor stock and i ride with my mate with a xr650 and it gave him a shock when i pulled up beside him when he was full throttle, but he blamed his tyre.(cough)
So the plans yes the stock bars are low and i will replace with a higher bend,change to vor mx muffler,looking at a change to a keihin 41mm fcr carb,
also my dealer says you can order a 570 kit from the factory,he says its a piston kit only no mention of a conrod or offset grinding the crank pin for more stroke. so by my calculation this will need a 4mm over bore. This is a big overbore, so how thick is the cylinder wall, or am i barking up the wrong tree.
This is my first bike in a 10 year break, but as remind my mates about the old AC/DC song Im Back In Black.

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
Mini...way too many...in fact I'm gonna be selling quite a few over the next month or so....gotta make room you know...

'02 125SX is out I'm afraid & let me tell you that ain't an easy decision because thats one dynamite bike....but with the VOR coming it doesn't make for a very good $$$ & sense decision to keep it...

plus I'll be getting rid of some vintage iron too.....just picked up a sweet '81 Maico 490 so out with some of those too....doing my part to get this economy perking again....LOL

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
weimedog....you oughta bring that VOR out to one of the ACR vintage races & ride it in the modern support class we offer & bring the '82 Husky & ride Evo with it....we go to some great tracks such as Budds Creek,Broome,Southwick etc....

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
vntmx, I plan on it. I started the AHMRA thing in Colorado last year with the Nationals in Milliken. My 82 is "good to go" as soon as the season starts.

I really can't play the MX game much as some things are not working as well on my leg as they did a few years ago. I will tackle the cross country series intead.

You want a place to trail ride in peace...pay a visit.:)

Top Bottom