path21

Sep 1, 2008
I took a real nasty spill the other day, bent the levers and bars and got sand in the throttle assemble. how hard is it to fix this. I didn't really have time to look at it, too much pain and meds. Like i said it was nasty. i replaced the bars and levers but the throttle sticks.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You didn't mention what bike you had.....

On my Yamaha taking the entire twist grip apart is a ten minute operation. Just be careful that you don't lose any of the small pieces. On mine there is a little plastic pulley that has a metal bushing. The bushing stays in the pulley just long enough for you to get the pulley out of the housing and then it drops out.....

To clean mine: two small screws take the cover off the housing. One of the screws is the pivot for the pulley. Loosen the throttle cable so that you can disengage from the twist grip. With the cable disconnected the plastic throttle tube will slide off the end of the handlebars. Now clean the sand out of everything. Lube the cable while you are at it.

Inspect the plastic throttle tube. If it is cracked you should consider replacing it.

Put it back together and you should be good to go.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's less intensive than replacing bars and levers if it's a 2 stroke. A push pull on a 4 stroke really isn't that much more difficult though.

path21

Sep 1, 2008
it's a yz250, it's not bad, i just bent the hell outa everything so i'm replacing in prep to sell the bike. My last ride in an ambulance cause of the donor cycle

Top Bottom