Throttle control for xr100r can this be done !

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Okay, I may have misjudged the power in the XR100R, I got it for my daughter for Christmas and it is way to much power. She is a big 10 but when riding an XR70 was very cautious and never tried to really push the bike - never fast never crazy. Is there a throttle control similar to the screw preventing the throttle grip being turned to far on the KLX110 and various other bikes that can be bought and fit the XR100. Christmas is tomorrow and before my wonderful daughter ends up on the ground in pain what can I do to prevent to much throttle response. 105 pounds and what adjustment will allow slow speeds for no wheelie when the clutch get dropped.

Help :worship:

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
FS,

Try a motorcycle shop and ask if they have one of the cheap cruise controls for road/touring bikes. It's a little clip on thingy, clips on the throttle grip, that road riders can use to keep the throttle from closing but I'm sure you could use to keep the throttle from being opened too far.

Any parts guy should know what I mean, they cost about $15 I think.

BTW, my daughter had an XR80 and had almost no problem with wheelies. Your girl is probably safer than you think.

Dan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You can make a simple throttle stop for about $1.00 that will allow you to limit how far your daughter can open the throttle. Basically you get a small piece of brass tubing that fits over the throttle cable and fit it in between the carb slide and the carb top. When she rolls the throttle it will only open to the level of travel you allow it to, so if you start her out at a limit of about 1/3 throttle she'll be able to have fun without being too overwhelmed. The nice thing about this is you can keep trimming it back and allowing more throttle opening as she gets used to the bike.

I made one up real quick and attached a picture to better explain.

Attachments

• carb_stop_1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 314

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
That will work Rich but involves guess work and constantly pulling the carb slide out to get at tubing when first setting it up. Since I am giving my son a KLX110 I looked at that and think the screw adjustment on the throttle grip would be perfect if I could just buy a Kawasaki throttle grip and mount it to the Honda. Your solution would solve my other problem - How to stop 15 year old cousins using the bike - control power no thrill.

As for the simple throttle cruise control - the one I had when operated was like a compression lock on the throttle grip - in fact that is what it was. It will allow you to crush your grip to stop the throttle rotating. Unfortunately unless there is a stop drilled into the side of the grip and then a block put in it's path there is no simple over throttle control that can be mounted on the handlebars. Thanks for the thought. 

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
No real guesswork. Measure the full throttle travel distance, measure the distance between the carb top and the inside edge of the slide, determine the amount you want the slide to travel and cut the stop to fill the distance. Easy :)

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Awesome solution Rich. I'll have to remember that when my kids are ready to move up to bigger bikes.

Larry

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I somewhat know what your going through. Lasyt X mas my nephews XR 50 threw me down a big steep driveway. I ride a YZ 250 and I dont even know what happened.

I like the throttle stop idea. Honestly though, do these things help? I noticed the xr 50 was very tough to get going without the throttle being allowed to open.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The XR100 has plenty of power (9hp) to be fun at part throttle for small people.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Agreed distance between two objects will prevent full throttle operation.but what is the specific length needed for a person who weighs 105lbs. This is the guess work. To wheelie or how to make sure not to wheelie that is my question, thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Unfortunately you are asking a question that can't be answered witout trial and error testing. 1/3 to 1/2 throttle should provide plenty of fun while still being safe. Make up 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 and see what she is comfortable with. Good luck.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
BTW dont make one from plastic like i did-a friend has a KTM50LC for his 4 year old son-well these have about 7hp and weigh about 40kg so they are very very fast-made the throttle stop from plastic-worked great for a week-next ride he pulls the throttle and it allows him to go wide open-we call him in and inspect-the plastic is totally gone-i guess not all plastics are octane friendly.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Rich,

That's a brilliant idea, and one I'll use on my daughter's KX100 while she learns to ride it.

thanks

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
consenus is....

Rich has the best idea. Now to find an open hardware store..... :thumb:

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
If your daughter weighs 105, I'd suggest just letting her ride it as is. XR100's are very tame and easily cntrolled by the most novice riders, in my experience. In stock form, 1st gear is very low and starts are easy and uneventful.

I don't think I'd modify anything until she's ridden it at least once. If she goes up a hill and it stalls and tips over on her, that would be a worse situation IMO. That tends to happen when you limit throttle opening.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…